What Now?

Kjl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Soooo....my almost 14 yo hyper thyroid boy FINALLY got over his cold and was doing pretty well, so we started him on the transdermal gel for his thyroidism. EXACTLY 10 days later, like with the pills, the vomiting started called the vet and got him cerenia...which seemed to start working yesterday. Last night the vomiting started again and of course he got sick almost immediately after the pill this morning, so the pill came back up. The poor guy can't catch a break...cant keep weight on, has the heart murmur (which we knew about for a little over a year) and is completely miserable right now. Gonna go to the vet this week to see if there is anything left to try , but I'm at a loss. I hate seeing him have so many ups and downs at his age. I'm stressed constantly about his health, the cost of all the meds, tests and vet visits and really don't want to see or clean anymore cat vomit for while..

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your cats problem! I have never had a hyper thyroid cat, so i can really give any experiences. I am sure others will come in on this. I have had very sick cats for other reasons and i understand how stressful it can be, the cost, and the care. Hang in there and i hope it gets better very soon! Best of luck to you both.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - are there any updates about your baby? Are you having to catch an emergency vet, or go Monday, or...?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If your guy can’t tolerate oral meds for hyperthyroid, one option is to have the radio active treatment, where the thyroid is destroyed. It is expensive and involves a several week clinic stay but it is a good option for some. One of my cats had it and did wonderfully afterwards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kjl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - are there any updates about your baby? Are you having to catch an emergency vet, or go Monday, or...?
well...he's FINALLY keeping food down now..so i am giving him a little bit every hour and hopefully he'll be good from now on. I am making a vet appointment tomorrow to see what we can do from this point forward. Sadly, the iodine option is not going to be possible (expense wise and due to his heart murmur) I will post after the vet, but for now he's keeping food and water down. For that, I am thankful :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a thought - is there any way that you can get reduced doses (or cut the pills in half) to administer throughout the day? If you call the manufacturer or ask a pharmacist, you may get some informed suggestions to run by your vet.

• Purraise
Reactions: Kjl

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a thought - is there any way that you can get reduced doses (or cut the pills in half) to administer throughout the day? If you call the manufacturer or ask a pharmacist, you may get some informed suggestions to run by your vet.
Pushy has hyper thyroid and at first we were giving him one pill a day cut in half (so twice a day). So you can cut them. but when he went up to 1 1/2 pill, the vet wanted us to stick with twice a day, so 3/4 pill each time rather than giving him a 1/2 three times a day. She said it was better for the meds to be given twice a day 12 hours apart. Maybe your vet Kjl Kjl will have a different opinion on this?

Kjl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We tried both pill and transdermal gel...my old guy couldn’t handle either. The gel was in a super low dose too. Now we’re trying the thyroid food..which he is doing ok with so far, but he’s not a huge fan of it. We have the canned,but I think I’m going to get a small bag of dry too. He’s eat..just not a lot..a little less than a can a day. Seriously...this cat is gonna be the death of me..lol

snowbird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are having similar kitty issues, though yours have been going on much longer. I pray that something works out. My vet said how she only met one cat that actually enjoyed that thyroid food, lol. You and your kitty are in my thoughts!!

Kjl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are having similar kitty issues, though yours have been going on much longer. I pray that something works out. My vet said how she only met one cat that actually enjoyed that thyroid food, lol. You and your kitty are in my thoughts!!
It is just crazy...he’s so darn picky. I know he’s only supposed to eat that food and NOTHING else, but I had to cave and add a little chicken broth to the food to get him to eat. He’s so darn hungry for something tasty, I may just add the gravy from the cheap store food...I can’t let this expensive food go to waste....eating it with a little something extra is better than not eating it at all, right

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
eating it with a little something extra is better than not eating it at all, right
You could call your vet and double check, and I'm not a vet myself but I would think yes. Hang in there!!
The chicken broth doesn't have any salt or spices, correct? Also, what about tuna juice? Low or no lactose cow milk, or goat milk?