What might this be with cat's eye?

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is 12 years old and has always been a very healthy cat. Last night I noticed her looking like this. She's been staying in her cat bed most of the time, sleeping. We live in a rural area so no vet available until tomorrow. Any thoughts? I have some Clavamox left from when one of the outside kitties had goopy eyes recently. Could I give her some of that for now? IMG_20231225_132725.jpg IMG_20231225_132711.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just like with humans, you don't want to give a partial dose of an antibiotics as that could just make it worse. You also aren't sure what is going on so the antibiotic may be the wrong course of medication or it may not be bacterial based. Going after the wrong treatment could delay accurate diagnosis and treatment later on.

Your best bet is to see a vet ASAP. For now, I would do a warm compress if your cat will allow it. Just be sure it isn't too warm. Try to do 5 to 15 minute sessions multiple times a day (I'd aim for 5 if you cat tolerates). If you notice any discharge, wipe it away gently with a warm clean paper towel, napkin or towel. The compress should help with swelling and drawing out any infection but it is not a replacement for seeing a vet as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I contacted the vet office this morning. They asked for me to send a pic which I did. They said I did not have to bring her in. They prescribed an ointment which I went and picked up. They said if she doesn't improve in the next 3-4 days to contact them and they will give me a different ointment to try. They don't feel they need to see her. They think she poked herself in the eye.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep an eye on it, if it is just poke in eye the ointment should make some difference within 24 to 48 hours since the ointment would help with inflammation pretty quickly. I'd personally set up an appointment for 3 days and cancel it if she is better. That way you would already have an appointment if you do need to take her in.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'd personally set up an appointment for 3 days and cancel it if she is better. That way you would already have an appointment if you do need to take her in.
I agree 100% and would do the same exact thing especially since the vet has not yet seen her in person. :thumbsup: