What might daddy be?

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is one of my parents cats, Elijah. My favorite, if I'm being honest; he was my cuddle buddy for somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 years before I moved out.
We know for sure that he's at least half Persian. His litter was born in the shelter we got him from. Mama was gorgeous. Silver chinchilla, I think? She looked like the Fancy Feast cat. I think I remember them saying something about a pedigree (not sure how she ended up there) but I could be wrong. I was 8 or 9 when we got him.
Anywho. We always just assumed that day was an alley cat, and we're probably right, but I thought out might be interesting to see what you guys think. :)
I'm in love with his tail and his fuzzy toes :love: I wish I had a better picture of his tail. It's seriously amazing. I'll see if I can dig one up :)
If it helps any, he's teeny-tiny under all that fur. 7lbs at most. (That fur, btw, is somewhere around 4 inches long. I measured once, years ago)

As for coloring, I always thought black smoke tabby? That's just an educated guess from Google image searches, though.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We know the daddy was at least a carrier of the longhair gene.  Btw, do you remember the littermates?  Were ALL  longhaired (or had at least bushy tails), or just half of them longhair, and half shorthair?

This could help us know, if the daddy was a longhair himself, or if he was a shorthaired carrier.

Tabby isnt common in purebred persians - although I presume its allowed.  Thus, daddy was probably a tabby.

Really, a not to far away guess could be the daddy was something of a Maine Coon look alike.  Apparently not any of the big stock nor the big lines. But perhaps exactly by that reason not useful for any breeding of MCO-type.

Such a combination would also produce both this generously excellent long fur, and also, that face.

Mixing of Maine Coon alikes and persian is a quite common combination among the BYB breeders.  Produces nice, healthy mixes.

So some of these BYB breeders are even OK persons - I had met once such a one on a Swedish forum I was heavily participating at that time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only saw the whole litter once, when they were about four weeks old (they were in the same room as an older litter we also got a kitten from). When we went back for him, I got distracted by some teeny kittens in a different room and never went into his. It was years ago, too.
I had thought about maybe Maine Coon, they've got the same crazy tails and those little points on their ears, but I figured they were too big. I hadn't thought about smaller lines. :)

Last edited:

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Come to think of it, he had what we called an "awkward coyote" phase when he looked similar to a young Maine Coon - shorter fur on his body, with a "ruff" of longer hair on his neck and a long-ish but less magnificent tail. :think:

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I have absolutely no idea what his genetic heritage might be but Elijah is one seriously fluffy and splendid looking cat.

His paws are so furry it does make me think of the Main Coon but could be other long hair cat feature too, I'm not sure, and his size suggests something more along the lines of Angora / Turkish Angora and they seem to have tufty paws too and have a much smaller build - perhaps the mother could have more of this type in her?

http://cfa.org/Portals/0/documents/breeds/standards/turkish-angora.pdf

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have absolutely no idea what his genetic heritage might be but Elijah is one seriously fluffy and splendid looking cat. :nod:  :love:    His paws are so furry it does make me think of the Main Coon but could be other long hair cat feature too, I'm not sure, and his size suggests something more along the lines of Angora / Turkish Angora and they seem to have tufty paws too and have a much smaller build - perhaps the mother could have more of this type in her?
http://cfa.org/Portals/0/documents/breeds/standards/turkish-angora.pdf
Isn't he fantastic? :love: I wanted to take him soo bad when I moved out (just think about snuggling all that fluff!) but my mom wouldn't let me.

His mama was definitely Persian. I don't think there was anything else in her - if there was, it didn't give her ant visible traits.

Last edited: