What meat not to use?

hyperlittleem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,I've just started raw feeding my kitten Jess(5months bsh x) and my four year old go ginger moggy Steve.
So far I have been feeding them raw chicken wings,crushed turkey bones in,rabbit,along with occasional beef liver and heart.
Reason being was Jess was having blood in her stools,no problems within herself but o felt her diet could maybe be the pproblem(whiskers dried biscuits
After three days,no blood in the poo!so I feel this is the way forward.
My question is,are there any raw foods I shouldn't be giving my cats?
Steve is loving his new diet more than I thought he would,as he was begging to be quite fussy!
I just want the best for there health.
Many thanks!
Em xxxx :)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it's not good to feed raw fish very often. But other than that, pretty much anything is OK. :D

I'm a little concerned - it sounds like your diet might not be well balanced. If you're not including egg yolks several times a week, some fish oil (many use salmon oil) - and/or some tinned sardines (packed in water, no salt added), they probably aren't getting enough vitamin D. I provide 500mg of salmon oil daily AND a tinned sardine 2x a week.

And you mention "occasional" beef liver and heart? Liver needs to be about 5% of the diet (and is usually balanced weekly), and another secreting organ (like kidney, pancreas, spleen or brain) also needs to be about 5% of the diet. They need the organs, especially the liver, for the vitamin A. If you can't find another secreting organ (though in the UK I can't imagine it's hard to find kidney!), you can feed the liver to 10% of the diet.

It also sounds like it may be a little high in calcium?

http://catcentric.org/nutrition-and-food/raw-feeding/a-frankenprey-and-whole-prey-feeding-guide/
http://catcentric.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/My-Feeding-Schedule.pdf
http://catcentric.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Frankenprey-Calculator.xlsx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hyperlittleem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply,the pages have been a great help too!
It's a strange thing finding others who raw feed cats,but I am glad I am not alone in my quest to give my cats the best diet possible.
Lol kidney and liver are in all the supermarkets here,a very british thing I think :) !
I will be purchasing some sardines for them tommorow!
Just looking at dried cat food now gives me the creeps now!
Funny thing was when we took Jess to the vets to get neutered we said that her diet was raw chicken,fish and offal,and they said don't worry,they don't have any of that there.
Then we had to explain that was what she ate,and they were shocked!
Vets pushed me giving Jess and Steve biscuits,when surely the best thing for them is natural food that makes them work there jaws?!
My mother In law sells raw food for cats and dogs,and said one lady had two cats the same age,one who ate raw food,one who didn't.
Commercial food kitty lived to 13,raw food kitty lived to 22!
Proof is in the diet :)

~love my kitty kats~

Em xxxx

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know how you feel about dried cat food. :lol3: Having fed dry food to my cats, and seeing the difference, well.... there's no going back for us. :D

And yeah, I figured sourcing wouldn't be an issue. ;)

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What I find fascinating is learning what proteins (meat)and organs are readily available in some countries but aren't available in others, like kangaroo and brains!  On-line vendors can fill in the gap; I can get llama and green tripe from HareToday, for example.

And yeah people look at me weird when I say Ritz loves kidney and goat.