What Litter/s Do Your Cats Use?

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I've been hearing a bunch about how Arm & Hammer has a very strong flowery smell. So, you like Arm & Hammer litter, then?
The yellow box certainly does not have any kind of flowery smell. The black box (clump & seal) probably is a flowery scent, but I find it's subtle and pleasant while I'm cleaning the box. However, I'm not living with it, so I can't say if it is overpowering. I will say I don't smell it at all until I lift the lid off the litter box, and it's a fairly small apartment.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arm & Hammer Double Duty does have kind of a different scent. It smells a little like a sweet baby powder to me. I like it, but I know some people hate it. The Multi-Cat one smells more normal to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
View attachment 194411 Your location is not indicated in your profile. The product originates in Canada and they have distributors in different countries. I buy it locally imported from Canada. I'm going to try and photograph the addreses on the package and come back.

Here it is, I hope it helps.
It did help, thank you. I'm from Pennsylvania. I'll have to enable that. I'm not sure I can get it locally, though. We'll see! Thank you.

sprinkle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Blue Buffalo 'Naturally Fresh'.
It's made of walnuts (no pesticides).
I plan on using Pretty Litter which changes color to indicate health problems.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feline Pine, in 2 boxes, Wheat clumping litter in one. I have 1/2 a bag of Nature's Miracle corn "clumping" litter left and will NEVER buy that again. It doesn't clump well and so it quickly becomes stinky. Plus it doesn't seem to work with the stupid Litter Genie (which I'm going to abandon when the last bag ring is used up).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feline Pine, in 2 boxes, Wheat clumping litter in one. I have 1/2 a bag of Nature's Miracle corn "clumping" litter left and will NEVER buy that again. It doesn't clump well and so it quickly becomes stinky. Plus it doesn't seem to work with the stupid Litter Genie (which I'm going to abandon when the last bag ring is used up).
I suggest you use a storage bin with clear-ish(and taller if your cat(s) is an enthusiastic digger) sides. Cats like this because they can see if anyone is coming to ambush them.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Arm & Hammer Double Duty Natural Clumping Litter. It's made of corn fibers, so the odor isn't nearly as noticeable. Compared to Fresh Step and Tidy Cats, it seems to clump much better.

The only downside I've seen is that Charlie tracks it easily.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Blue Buffalo 'Naturally Fresh'.
It's made of walnuts (no pesticides).
I plan on using Pretty Litter which changes color to indicate health problems.
I have used it too and it is really good. One of my cats had a completely unknown allergic reaction so I had to stop using it :(
I would still be using it now if not for her reaction.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a virtually unknown soft cedar litter. I actually recommended it to my Blue Buffalo vendor and she loved it.
IMG_20170904_062001[1].jpg
IMG_20170904_062017[1].jpg

Clay litter was messy and heavy, we take our own trash to a convenience center, other litters were expensive. We used Blue Buffalo Naturally Fresh for months and I highly recommend it. It is lovely. One of my cats is extremely hypersensitive and developed an allergy to the walnut which is why we switched. Before I switched brands I conferred with my BB vendor and she even talked to the main office, no such allergy has ever been reported so my cat is a freak.
The only problems I have from Cedarific are availability, I can only find it at one store, and it is so light weight that it flings easily and sometimes the cats tip the litterbox.
The big bags are just under $10 and will fill 4 large litterboxes.
We did explore silica and it was ok. Kind of spendy, feels like broken glass when you step on it with bare feet, really effective though and as a bonus butterflies love it. next spring I may start a butterfly garden and sprinkle cat urine soaked silica crystals in the flower bed.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the Cedarific a clumping litter? How often do you have to dump and change it?

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is the Cedarific a clumping litter? How often do you have to dump and change it?
It isn't a clumping litter but I also don't like clumping litters. They clumped on my cats feet and tracked everywhere.
I have over 20 cats in my house so staying power depends on the litterbox. Average is once a week for the change on the 3 large boxes I have in the living room area. If I had more boxes the litter would last longer.
They just added a new product called Easy Earth that contains hardwood and cedar, not available at my stores yet but I am interested in trying it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Do you really like Dr. Elsey's? I heard that when they changed the formula to "Ultra" that it became a lot worse.

I've been hearing a bunch about how Arm & Hammer has a very strong flowery smell. So, you like Arm & Hammer litter, then?

Has anyone tried Everclean? It seems pricey but I'm tempted.
I haven't bought Dr Elsey's in a long time because I hate the bag it comes in so it may have changed since then but the last time I used it, I liked it. I have used the Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal in the past and noticed that the scent was kind of strong. I haven't used it in a while. I use Tidy Cats more than anything else and Fresh Step is our other go to.