What Level Of Education Do Your Parents Have?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dad quit school in eighth grade to help take care of his family. That being said, he was one of the most smartest men I ever knew. His was not a book-learning knowledge. But he could take a car apart and put it back together with no trouble. He could build a house. He could fix pretty much anything I broke. He could do plumbing, do electrical work, anything in construction. The man could do anything. Whenever I had a problem, I could call him and say, "Dad? I need your help" and he'd be there in no time.

Mom did graduate from HS, but only through the sheer perseverance of my grandmother. Mom hated school; she wouldn't go, so my grandmother had to walk her back and forth. She threw her books in the river and my grandmother would have to buy her new books. She was quite the problem child. Thankfully her three children did not carry on those traits.
That sounds like my father. He was smart, he just never had the opportunity to finish school because he was the oldest, and so the burden fell on him. That would have been in 1925 or -26,

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother was the first person in our family to go to grammar school and university (my grandmother and her sister got into the local grammar school but couldn't afford the uniform, which meant they couldn't go completely in those days). She studied Italian and French at university and did a year studying abroad in Paris and is thus fluent in French (she also studied German and Spanish at school, which she both gave up though she said she wants to get back into Spanish again). Aside from languages and compulsory subjects like maths and English, at school she studied history, sociology, biology and geography.

Her first job was in advertising and she made ads for companies such as Reebok, which she also used to travel abroad a lot for (she regularly had meetings in Germany, and said her German O Level came in handy then, haha). She then left that job after I was born and began working for the marketing department of the Royal Airforce. She now works as a civil servant in marketing for Public Health - she meets a lot of famous faces for her job especially now as she's focusing on mental health, and tried to get a campaign with Prince William, though he had another engagement on the day she wanted him to be interviewed for the campaign.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My dad went to college for two years and then dropped out to teach in a one-room school in Central Illinois farm country. This would have been in the late 1930s. He enlisted in the Army in the early ‘40s and fought in WWll but never returned to college. Like so many others have commented about their fathers, he was extremely smart with oodles of common sense and business acumen. And he could build or fix anything.

My mom graduated from college in 1944 with a bachelor’s degree in music. She taught for a couple of years but quit when she and Dad got married in ‘46. She never worked outside the home again which, while lovely for her two children, was probably not as fulfilling for her as working even part time would have been. She was extremely creative.

They were good parents and good people. And they loved cats! :) I miss them.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom went to college to become a teacher, but dropped out to marry my dad. He took some type of course after high school to become a mechanic on large equipment & vehicles.

Last edited: