What Kind Of Tabby Is My Cat?

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've posted a lot today, oops. ^^’
I’ve had my wonderful cat, Joey, for a few years now. He came to our as a stray, so we aren’t sure who his parents are/were. I’m almost positive he’s a type of tabby, I just don’t really know what kind. Is it bad that I don’t know? Haha.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like he’d be called a red ghost mackeral tabby and white. Ghost tabby basically means that the tabby markings are there, just not very visible. That would be his coloring, his breed is Domestic Shorthair, since tabby is a color marking, not a breed in itself. Joey is very handsome and looks very sweet! :loveeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like he’d be called a red ghost mackeral tabby and white. Ghost tabby basically means that the tabby markings are there, just not very visible. That would be his coloring, his breed is Domestic Shorthair, since tabby is a color marking, not a breed in itself. Joey is very handsome and looks very sweet! :loveeyes:
Thank you for the response! That would make sense, sometimes you can see darker stripes on his orange fur in the sunlight, but they’re extremely faint. I agree he is very handsome and sweet! He acts almost dog-like and is always looking for attention lol

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All reds are tabbies. As your mackerel tabby is barely visible this means he has no true tabby gene
He wouldnt produce no tabbies even if he were working stud.

He is a nice red and white. Bicolor tuxedo?

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All reds are tabbies. As your mackerel tabby is barely visible this means he has no true tabby gene
He wouldnt produce no tabbies even if he were working stud.

He is a nice red and white. Bicolor tuxedo?
Oh he could be! He does have a couple white spots on his back though

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lovely dark red coloring. Red (orange) ghost mackerel with white, I agree.
I'm confused by the statement above about him having no true tabby gene? I thought tabby was default pattern and in order for a cat to be NOT tabby, they had to have masking genes. I know all reds are tabbies, so doesn't that mean he DOES have the tabby gene, and would pass it on?

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lovely dark red coloring. Red (orange) ghost mackerel with white, I agree.
I'm confused by the statement above about him having no true tabby gene? I thought tabby was default pattern and in order for a cat to be NOT tabby, they had to have masking genes. I know all reds are tabbies, so doesn't that mean he DOES have the tabby gene, and would pass it on?
I’ve heard that all cats have at least some tabby, as it’s a coat pattern not a breed. He looks a ghost mackerel as well as a tuxedo, but I’m not sure. We got him as a stray so we have no idea who his parents are. He did have a brother who was almost identical looking to him.