What kind of litter do you use???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by silva_unt

I use Swheat Scoop but want to switch to chicken feed...I recently replaced my two boxes with this Whisker's box: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4217937
I love it because the main problem I had with my other two boxes was corner areas where my scooper couldn't get into and this new box is cornerless!! This pan is also so much wider and open so the kitties can move around more easier. In fact, and not happy about this, Petey seems to think its a great sandbox!! He lays in it and goes in there for hiding when he's hyper

I put about 2" and scooop 2x a day.
I have one of those litter boxes too!!!!!! The only cat I have a problem with in that one is Pipsqueak. He always walks straight into the litter boxes and pees in the front of it. Then he goes to town covering, and it all come swooshing out the front of this box.

It is almost time for me to dump and scrub boxes and change out my litter completely. I went to the Tractor Supply Co. on Bastetservant's suggestion and bought their chicken feed. It is the same thing as WBCL!!!!!!!!!! And so much cheaper. Thanks, Robin

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We use Walmart's Special Kitty, the cheapest version in yellow paper sacks. It's under $4 per bag (I think it's about 20lbs) and... I think we're fine with it. I don't smell anything bad and the cat seems to doesn't mind it either. Those are just some pebbles, a bit dusty, but right now the litterboxes (she has two and they sit one next to another) are far enough from the rest of our living area that nobody seems to care. It is not scoopable, but I have no problems scooping the mess.

Is there a reason, other than cosmetic ones, one should buy any of these more expensive items?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kittica

We use Walmart's Special Kitty, the cheapest version in yellow paper sacks. It's under $4 per bag (I think it's about 20lbs) and... I think we're fine with it. I don't smell anything bad and the cat seems to doesn't mind it either. Those are just some pebbles, a bit dusty, but right now the litterboxes (she has two and they sit one next to another) are far enough from the rest of our living area that nobody seems to care. It is not scoopable, but I have no problems scooping the mess.

Is there a reason, other than cosmetic ones, one should buy any of these more expensive items?
Hi
nope no reason at all! What ever works for your cats is what you should stay with. I just love the real large litter boxes. I have five cats and five boxes in three different parts of my house. Some people make litter boxes out of the rubbermaid bins and those are great too. Whatever works for you!! I too keep in two of my locations two boxes side by side as some of my cats pee in one and then gp next door to poop

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats like the cheap alternatives I've found - with the help of tcs members.

Big Sterilite storage bins without the lids are the pans. They cost under $4.

After dealing with the dust and lung irrigation from clay litter for many years. I gave it up for clumping corn litter. Now I use (unmedicated) chick crumble from the feed store for a third of the price. It looks and works exactly the same as the expensive corn litter.

The pans are easy to clean, and the sides are about 6" high so the litter mostly stays in the pan. The dust is minimal, the clumps can be flushed, and the crumble controls odors as well as any litter.

My cats are happy and I'm happy. Thanks tcs members!

Feralvr, I'm glad you're happy with the chick feed.

Robin

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We also use the feed store alternative to feline pine. It's about $7 here for a 40# bag. Really cheap and it works just fine. Would never use anything else.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kittica

I'm always interested in natural litters to recommend over clay (since clay contributes to strip mining operations, doesn't biodegrade, contains silica a known carcinogen when inhaled, and uses sodium bentonite which is a health concern for cats licking it off their feet and fur), but have to say that Special Kitty came up and got some pretty poor reviews.

I have never used it, but the complaints were lack of clumping ability and poor odor control, but if you know from first hand experience it works fine for you, there is no reason to waste money getting something else.

From personal experience, I love the clumping of World's Best multicat, but not the price or smell. I love the smell of Swheat Scoop and odor absorbing ability, but it doesn't clump as fast (definitely get the extra clumping formula green bags). So I mix the two.

I should try out some of the corn based alternatives locally though, and see if its the same thing minus the marketing for half the price, which wouldn't surprise me. One thing I have noticed for sure though is that the better clumping the litter, the less expensive it actually is, as you can use it so much longer.

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've really had only good experience with odor-control with this basic, yellow Special Kitty. I can smell something ONLY if she walks in and does her thing as I sit next to the litterbox (which I do only while cleaning it
). A few minutes later, all that smell is gone. Clumping would be nice, but I manage without.

As long as it's not bad for health reasons and the like, I guess I wouldn't mind sticking to this. And we'll see if we'll have to switch when we actually move... closer to her litterboxes.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, Cat Attract - Great litter!!!!!!!
Do you use the Senior Crystals? I have always wanted to try the crystal litter. I find that sometime after Perla goes potty, she has some litter stuck on her behind. I try to wipe it off with pet wipes. I have wondered if the crystals would be a better choice for hygienic reasons for female cats.
HMM.

I am having great luck with that chicken feed from The Tractor Store!!!
It is great to have so many great responses on this thread! Thanks All

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just stopped using A&H multi cat and started Swheat Scoop. I really like the Swheat Scoop. Doesn't track as much and actually covers the odors better. With the other litter, even when it was clean, my small apartment was still smelling like the litter itself which I didn't like, but I am so far pleased with the Swheat. A little pricier, but I recommend it.