What kind of kitty do I have?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaatex8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is only 6 months and her eyes have gone from green to a very pretty light hazel. She as white on her belly, all four paws and a bit on her face. My vet told me she is just a tabby but I think she might be something else. She does have some stripes in a darker grey around her, especially her tail. Her fur is very soft especially on her cheeks.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not an expert but I do think your cat is a Domestic Shorthair and a beautiful one too . I love her color and pattern ..

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
She's not a tabby. She's a domestic shorthair bicolor, in blue/gray and white. And yes, she's beautiful!

ETA - I just read the bit about the tabby markings. In this case, she is a blue tabby and white. 

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had a similiar reaction as Anne.   Blue (=grey)  cats do have sometimes some ghost markings for tabby, but they arent counted as tabby.

For example, this may happen with russian blue esp when still kittens and mostly on the tail.  An adult  RB where the ghost markings are still visible, its counted as a fault, and he wont make any carriere at Shows.   :(

Be sold as pet quality to put this blunt.   But they arent counted as tabbys, and per definition, they dont have the tabby gene in them.

So, I gather it boils down to how much  these "tabby markings" are visible and clear.   I dont see them on the pic.

Good luck!

@kaatex8   @Anne

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaatex8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This was her as a kitten and the "stripes" are getting darker as she gets older. Also has a striped tail.
But thank you guys & she is quite beautiful! My pride and joy :)

keena2353

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What kind of kitten is this...his mom all black but he came of with long black that turn Grey on his chest and grey strips on his tail and arms.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What kind of kitten is this...his mom all black but he came of with long black that turn Grey on his chest and grey strips on his tail and arms.
Some good pics are welcome!   But grey is essentially diluted black, so he received his moms black gene all right!

A gues is thse strips  are ghost strips, as menitoned above.  Unless his daddy is a real tabby.

Tabby is dominant, so we know mom cant be no tabby.