What Kind of Kittens Would These Two Cats Make?

tabbycrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am hoping someone has an answer. Does anyone know what kind of kittens these two would make, color wise and tabby pattern wise? The male is the orange classic tabby and the female is the mackerel tabby. They both have whiteish bellys. Thank you in advance!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe you would most likely get some orange tabbies and some grey ones as well. You could also get cats of other colors (black, grey, and possibly other combinations with or without white) though since these are domestic shorthairs with a wide range of cats in their ancestry more than likely.  It would be very difficult to say for sure what would show up. 

I am hoping this is a hypothetical question. There is no reason to breed these two cats in my opinion. Tabby itself is a coat pattern and not a breed. There are tons of domestic shorthair kittens with tabby colors that are waiting for homes in shelters so there is no reason to bring any more into the world. 

They are adorable kittens for sure. 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You will not get any red (orange) kittens from a red male mated to a female with no red in her because that color is sex-linked. Only the X chromosome carries red. From the two pictured here, possibilities for males kittens are black or blue (grey). Possibilities for female kittens are black or blue or tortoiseshell (mix of black and red). The kittens may or may not have tabby markings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbycrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much, I appreciate the quick response!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbycrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you GoldyCat, that is great information to know. I appreciate the response!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will not get any red (orange) kittens from a red male mated to a female with no red in her because that color is sex-linked. Only the X chromosome carries red. From the two pictured here, possibilities for males kittens are black or blue (grey). Possibilities for female kittens are black or blue or tortoiseshell (mix of black and red). The kittens may or may not have tabby markings.
Goldy cat probably knows more here for sure. I got my first kitten from an accidental breeding of an orange male and grey tabby female so I was going off of that. Someone was offering them in a local paper. There were kittens that were black, ones that were grey tabbies, and ones that were orange. But I don't think their determination of paternity was necessarily perfect either. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mackerel is dominant over classic.  White spot gene is dominant.

So they will tend to be mackerel tabby with white spots.

BUT everthing is complicated, depending if they have this gene in one or pair.   If paired, all children will get it.  But its almost only purebreds who will have these genes doubled up.  If just one gene - which is enough, as all these genes are dominant over many other types, and one alone gene is enough - half of the kittens will inherit the properties, others not - they will receive instead some more recessive gene.

So, we will see.   :)

And, to do my duty -  if you arent REALLY decided on having kittens of them, please do not it.  They  will be happiest as spayed/neutered, that is the best so in almost all variations.  

Even most purebreds, with certificates and everything, got spayed, so this is no law to multiply and increase just because you can.   :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You wouldn't be getting black or blue females from that pairing----only torties/torbies/calicos. The girls get a color gene from each parent so all the girls would have to be torties. And the boys only get it from their mother so they'd all be dark, probably all tabbies---I'm not 100% on how the tabby gene operates but I don't think a solid kitten from 2 tabby parents is very common.

Unless she's a "hidden tortie" (sometimes they have a tiny little orange spot hiding somewhere) in which case she could have orange kittens of either gender.

But, yes, I'll have to add to the advice not to breed them. It can be extremely difficult to find good homes for "regular" (not purebred) kittens, far too many end up in shelters or on the streets :(. Also, breeding-age unneutered males can be difficult to live with, as they communicate by spraying strong-smelling urine. So consider all factors carefully before deciding to breed them!

Last edited:

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that picture reminds me of two kittens my sister brought home one day many, many years ago... Not sure where she got them from, or what happened to them, but I know we didn't have them very long.  She named them Starsky and Hutch.  They are adorable.  I know nothing about what kind of babies they would make, but I reitterate what others have said... not worth it to breed them.  You have two kittens right now that you get to enjoy kittenhood with... but there are so many cats and kittens awaiting good homes (or in too many cases ANY home)...

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You wouldn't be getting black or blue females from that pairing----only torties/torbies/calicos. The girls get a color gene from each parent so all the girls would have to be torties. And the boys only get it from their mother so they'd all be dark,
Oops, you're right about the girls all being torties. I was doing this too late at night and my brain wasn't fully engaged.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Goldy cat probably knows more here for sure. I got my first kitten from an accidental breeding of an orange male and grey tabby female so I was going off of that. Someone was offering them in a local paper. There were kittens that were black, ones that were grey tabbies, and ones that were orange. But I don't think their determination of paternity was necessarily perfect either. 
If there were orange kittens in the litter the female must have had some red in her somewhere, possibly a brown or blue patched tabby with not much of the red showing.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there were orange kittens in the litter the female must have had some red in her somewhere, possibly a brown or blue patched tabby with not much of the red showing.
Probably true. I suspect that possibly they weren't all from the one cat either. There were too many of them. Do red kittens only come from calico cats (and assumedly red females)? As you can see from my profile picture, I have a lovely orange male, but never met either of his parents.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

Probably true. I suspect that possibly they weren't all from the one cat either. There were too many of them. Do red kittens only come from calico cats (and assumedly red females)? As you can see from my profile picture, I have a lovely orange male, but never met either of his parents.
Red kittens come from the female who has any red in her. That means red, tortie, calico, patched tabby. If the mother is red all of her boys will be red, and her girls will have some red in them. If she is tortie, calico, etc. she has a possibility of red boys, but some may be black/brown, girls may be just about any color combination depending on the father. To get a totally red girl the father must be red and the mother must have some red in her, because that's the only way to get two X chromosomes with the red gene.