What kind of kitten? ❤️

BuckleyKodiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!
We got this little guy from someone who said they had Ragdoll kittens. When I got there he said he also had Siamese cats so they could be a mix? Although he was selling them for $300, he did not know which of the male cats was the father. This little guy was the “runt” he said. He got really sick and turns out he had calicivirus but after a lot of supportive care, he is better. Vet thinks he is about 11 - 12 weeks old.

Just wondering what kind of kitten you guys think? Most likely a domestic mix? He is an amazing kitten so I’m not upset in anyway... but just curious what your expert thoughts are? Someone from a rescue mentioned I should turn this man in because he is breeding falsely and likely interbreeding. They also think the other kittens and cats must also have calicivirus. He had two other kittens under a table where he was living.
Thank you!

-The pics on the blue fuzzy blanket are from today.
-The pics of multiple kittens and mother are pictures the man selling them had posted on the recycler.
-The one of our little guy laying down is when he was so sick.
-The others are from closer to when we got him.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a doll!
Those certainly are color points of Siamese, I can't tell if his head shape is more modern or the old apple head type, but yes, a domestic mix. My goodness, look at those ear furnishings, and the length of his fur even at this age which aren't meezer characteristics.

Nonetheless, I'm very glad this little guy has you :)!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They seems to be more or less longhair. So the father is probably the "ragdoll", not the "siamese".

Controll question? Several of them seems to have this little white spot above the nose. Mom doesnt, so dad must have white spot.

He whom has, is the father.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friggen hate backyard breeders... selling sick kittens for $300 who probably have had zero vettings so only cares about money, and unfortunately because he is who knows if they are just regular cats with colour point markings. Two colour points will always produce a colour point so even regular color pointed domestic cats will reproduce those type of cats/kittens.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Definitely a back yard breeder and unlikely that they are actually the named breed.

I'd call him a domestic longhair seal point with white. The colorpoint gene is pretty wide spread and it isn't hard to find one without them being the specific breed. A cat can look like a specific breed without being related to any significant amount of the pedigree. Humans breeding cats is a newer hobby and most breeds are refined from naturally occurring colors and patterns. Colorpoint specifically breeds true so two colorpoint will always have colorpoint kittens. He is super adorable and lovely but unless you got paperwork from a recognized registry to document breed, not a specific breed.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens are cute, but I agree, that sounds like a terrible "breeder" :( I'm happy that your kitten is doing better, but I worry about the rest of the kittens. I don't know where you are located, but it sounds like these cats and kittens need some help. Have you talked to the guy about your kitten's illness, and asked about the health of the other kittens and cats? Sometimes a "backyard breeder" with sick cats is a misinformed but basically well-meaning person, overwhelmed with caring for their cats, who may be open to getting help... other times these people shouldn't be caring for cats at all. The rescue might have ideas about how to help get the situation under control.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BuckleyKodiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted a few weeks ago. I am working to report the “breeder” In the meantime... could you tell me some of your opinions?

-Will he be long hair or medium hair or short hair?
-Is he a normal seal colorpoint?
-why are his whiskers stripped?
- Ragdoll??????? Mixed with anything? Siamese, Balinese, Himalayan, Birman? I know he I just a domestic long or medium hair and adorable of curious but what do you all think?

thanks!

Attachments

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can u post a picture that includes his tail? His ear tuffs sure look like long hair to me. He is beautiful!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Medium hair isn't a recognized coat length, although people do use it. Your kitten would be a long hair.
  • It looks like their are two different kittens. But it could also be how the coat darkened.... assuming two different, both are seal point but one appears to have white on the forehead and the other doesn't. White fur on colorpoint will stay white and it is sometimes hard to tell on kittens if they are white or not. If it is the same kitten, the forehead just darkened splotchy..... still seal point.
  • I don't see whisker striping in the photos. But if happens.
  • I'd still call him just domestic unless you have proof that he is from a named breed. The colorpoint started with Siamese and the other pointed breeds are derived from that. Know which, if any, specific breed this guy gets his colorpoint is a mental exercise that proves nothing without breed documentation to support it. He's too young to say if his adult features will share characteristics with any specific breeds. I'd say not Siamese, they aren't long hair and tend to be more angular. I am not seeing round enough for ragdoll either, they tend to be more poof ball as kittens.

BuckleyKodiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! He is the sweetest. I have a 4 and 5 year old and he is just so good with them and vice versa. It was hard to get his tail this morning. But here it is. Also found a better profile pic.

Attachments

BuckleyKodiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  • Medium hair isn't a recognized coat length, although people do use it. Your kitten would be a long hair.
  • It looks like their are two different kittens. But it could also be how the coat darkened.... assuming two different, both are seal point but one appears to have white on the forehead and the other doesn't. White fur on colorpoint will stay white and it is sometimes hard to tell on kittens if they are white or not. If it is the same kitten, the forehead just darkened splotchy..... still seal point.
  • I don't see whisker striping in the photos. But if happens.
  • I'd still call him just domestic unless you have proof that he is from a named breed. The colorpoint started with Siamese and the other pointed breeds are derived from that. Know which, if any, specific breed this guy gets his colorpoint is a mental exercise that proves nothing without breed documentation to support it. He's too young to say if his adult features will share characteristics with any specific breeds. I'd say not Siamese, they aren't long hair and tend to be more angular. I am not seeing round enough for ragdoll either, they tend to be more poof ball as kittens.
Thanks Kieka. This breeder named Ragdoll (what he advertised them as in the add) and then threw out Balinese and Siamese some where in the conversation when I showed up. I’ve since learned more about how if there are no papers, you can’t be sure.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Often times, people don't know any better, and will assign breed labels based on some aspect of a cat's appearance. So if a cat is short haired and pointed, they might call it a Siamese, and if it is long haired and pointed, they might call it a Ragdoll or Balinese. Your kitten doesn't have a strong resemblance to any of these breeds, so it's hard to say just from looking at him whether he has any recent breed ancestry.

It's possible that the breeder somehow acquired individual cats from these various breeds, and was breeding them together, which might explain why your kitten doesn't look like a purebred Ragdoll. It's also quite possible, and probably more likely, that the breeder started with some pointed domestic longhairs and shorthairs, assumed they were "Ragdolls" or "Balinese" or "Siamese" and then bred them together. Most pointed cats are simply pointed domestic cats, not closely related to any breed.

Without any solid information about his parents, the best description of your kitten would be seal point domestic longhair. It's difficult to predict how fluffy he will be as an adult, but he is definitely going to be longhaired. I see what you mean about his striped whiskers, but I wouldn't worry about it. It might be a lingering effect of illness or poor nutrition, or it might just be a developmental stage. Pointed cats gradually darken as they get older, and you will see his coat go through many changes as he grows up.

In any case, I'm glad your kitten is doing well now, and is a good fit for your family! He is an adorable little kitty, and doesn't need a breed label to be a wonderful cat :)