• Homemade/raw

• Dry/homemade

• Wet/homemade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rowan_1102

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a lot of misinformation about wet food on the Internet. Most cats have healthier and fewer stools on wet food than dry. And stools are even healthier on raw. I would suspect that it may have been that the diet was switched too quickly. Maybe take a few steps back and reintroduce it more slowly.
Thank you! I will do just that!

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've only tried the new formula of Ziwi, so not sure. But yeah, I was really disappointed. I'm thinking it's the mussels, though. She's never had them before Ziwi. I tried adding just a quarter of a teaspoon to a meal, to see if maybe she needed me to introduce it more slowly. But she still vomited that up. :(

Here's the Hound & Gatos lamb:
View attachment 205159

I'd say that the consistency is similar to some of Instinct's flavors.

The trout has more of a soft/liquid texture:
View attachment 205162
Then maybe it's something else in their ingredients? Have you tried Feline Natural? That's a bit similar to Ziwi Peak. And thank you for the photos! I think my cat would enjoy Hound & Gatos then. He really likes NVI limited ingredient.

keridomingo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Khloe' and Sophie get Blue Buffalo dry free feeding and Fancy Feast wet twice a day.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope I don't get judged for this. I only feed Charlie Iams Healthy Adult. My childhood cats ate Meow Mix, but I wanted to give him something that wasn't as junky. It's the best I can afford :(

I forgot to mention that I free-feed. The vet seems pretty happy with his weight.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nobody's going to judge you. My cats eat Purina Cat Chow dry and Friskies Shreds canned. It's all they will eat. We all do the best we can.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope I don't get judged for this. I only feed Charlie Iams Healthy Adult. My childhood cats ate Meow Mix, but I wanted to give him something that wasn't as junky. It's the best I can afford :(

I forgot to mention that I free-feed. The vet seems pretty happy with his weight.
If you want to feed him a little better on a tight budget, Walmart's PureBalance kibble is actually cheaper than the Iams (at least where I live), and Petsmart's Good Natured kibble is about the same price as Iams. Either one of those foods would be an improvement over Iams. I've been in your situation before, and you're not doing anything wrong. You're doing what's in your power to keep your friend happy and healthy, and it sounds like he is :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Costco's cat food is actually quite good too and may be cheaper than Iams.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to feed him a little better on a tight budget, Walmart's PureBalance kibble is actually cheaper than the Iams (at least where I live), and Petsmart's Good Natured kibble is about the same price as Iams. Either one of those foods would be an improvement over Iams. I've been in your situation before, and you're not doing anything wrong. You're doing what's in your power to keep your friend happy and healthy, and it sounds like he is :)
I get the Iams from my local Walmart-I'll look for PureBalance next time. I have to mix it into the Iams for the transition, right?

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My childhood cats all ate Meow Mix, too. We used to wonder why they threw up all the time. Pretty sure it was the food. My parents still feed their cats dry, but a better brand than Meow Mix.

You might also be able to find some better quality foods at great prices online. Jet and Chewy have helped me out a lot. Canned foods are much cheaper when bought in bulk online, as well.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Home cooked diets can also be quite affordable. :catman:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My childhood cats all ate Meow Mix, too. We used to wonder why they threw up all the time. Pretty sure it was the food. My parents still feed their cats dry, but a better brand than Meow Mix.

You might also be able to find some better quality foods at great prices online. Jet and Chewy have helped me out a lot. Canned foods are much cheaper when bought in bulk online, as well.
My last three cats all became overweight, and only one didn't throw up. I didn't know until it was too late that Meow Mix is junk food, and I wouldn't have had much say in the matter anyway. I still feel guilty, though. I've managed to keep Charlie in good health.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, for cats a lot of the major health issues are due to high carbs and low moisture. So if you really want to watch your budget and have convenience then just make sure that the dry food you're feeding is as low in carbs as possible and perhaps just add in one feeding of canned food per day (it can be any cheap canned food) for extra hydration.

Fbiuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feeding Hera (the cat in the pic) Dry kibble in the morning and wet canned food in the night, both are Hill's Science Diet. I am planning to transition her from Hill's Science Diet to Organix' Chicken and Brown Rice than to Nature's Variety Instinct Raw. Hopefully, she will handle it.