What kind of companion do I get my single cat?

mylakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

If the roommate approves, I am thinking about getting a companion for my cat. I work from 8-5, and I think she gets bored when I am gone. 

Some things about my cat (Myla): 

-She was adopted from the shelter three months ago. 

-She is seven years old. 

-She is very nervous. She's just fine around me, but when my roommate comes into the room she dives under the couch. (Which I think hurts my roommate's feelings.) 

-She is very playful (With me.) I get home and we will play off and on until bed time. 

-The only thing I know from her past life is that she was rehomed because the past owner had too many pets. They know that she gets along with cats and dogs (as long as they are not being aggressive, as she is very submissive by nature. 

I've done some research that says you should get a cat of the opposite gender that's a few years younger than the original cat. I have also read that kittens may be a good choice because they are seen as less of a threat to the resident cat. Other reports say that kittens will irritate a cat to no end. 

Do you think I should go for an older cat (around 5?) or a kitten who will be seen as less of a threat? (She is very playful, but I don't know about kitten playful.) 

Any other suggestions for me? 

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK a couple of things here... Cats are NOT pack animals.  They can get along (eventually) with a friend.  But they do not require it.  She is older, so it is possible that it will take her quite awhile to accept a new "friend."  Also, she is nervous... This makes it even more difficult.  You may cause her more problems than solutions.  Cats do not like change, especially older and nervous cats.  You could be making problems where there are none.  I urge you to really think about this and do some honest soul searching.  I don't think your cat is a good candidate for a companion with this information. She is new and dealing with big changes and still getting used to life... At least put this off for awhile until she is more used to you and the new home and comfortable.

If you do decide to go ahead.... Do a proper introduction.  Also, don't be discouraged if it doesn't work out the way you expect.  I tell people to aim for a peaceful coexistence rather than them being "friends."  This way they are not disappointed if it doesn't happen as friends.  And if it does, then it's icing on the cake.  Also, it can take a month and often longer for older cats to even begin to accept a newcomer.  Not always but as I said with her being older and nervous, it'll probably be longer.  During this time, she may start behavior problems such as inappropriate urination, etc. 

Please rethink this.  It is generally thought a kitten would be easier accepted.  But not always.  You need to think about your cats social level and activity level.  Would a playful kitten bug her?  Most likely it would.  Also you need to think about the personality of the cat and make sure they don't try to dominate her... Her being nervous, they probably will... More problems.   So you need to make sure you find a cat that doesn't hunt her like prey and is more on the laid back side.  And you need to be prepared for a lengthy getting used to process with possible problems with behavior.  Your roommate may start reconsidering when these things happen.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mylakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply!  I will definitely consider her temperament before making the final decision. I don't want to make life worse for her! 

My thinking is that I know just six months ago she was living in a household with cats and dogs, possibly for her entire life, which is why I think she has a hard time adjusting to being a single cat. 

When she is nervous, it's been around other people. I had to take her to my parents' house for the holidays, and they have a resident cat who is very much a "king of the house" type. Rather than running from him, she tried to do the touch-noses greeting (which of course he didn't appreciate, because he very much prefers being an only cat and HATES other cats.) 

So yeah, I do realize it's a gamble, and it might not work out. 

What do you suggest I do to abate her boredom/loneliness while I am at work if she stays a single cat? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mylakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also feel bad leaving her at home to go out with friends on the weekends or at night because I've left her home all day. Anyone else feel like this? 

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why don't you try to foster a cat with the possibility of adopting it if things work out?  From what I hear, it's better to adopt a cat with similar temperament and who is the same age or slightly younger.  For example, if your cat is really laid back, it won't appreciate a kitten who is bouncing with energy.  If your cat is really dominant, you should get a more subservient cat.  

Not all cats will appreciate a cat companion.  However, it sounds like your cat is used to other pets.  Just make sure that you want another cat too, since you're the one who will be buying the food, paying the vet bills, etc. Good luck!

manemelissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with P3. My advice is to wait and think about it some more. Most cats do perfectly fine by themselves, even if you are working a job. Your cat has only been around for three months, she's still getting used to things, especially if she's the skittish type. You're still learning what scares her and what makes her happy. I would wait at least another three to four months and then think about it again. If she's excited to play, eating well, and becoming more comfortable with your roommate, then she'll be just fine.

I would also have a talk with your roommate and let them know not to take the cats shyness personal. If your roommate wants Myla to like them, I suggest using food! Get a bag of treats and have your roommate feed some to her; your cat will learn to associate the roommate with a yummy treat. Or have the roommate feed her sometimes (if they want to).