What kind of cat do I have?

thesouthernbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This cat just showed up at my house. We started feeding it. Now it comes regularly in the evenings to eat, but it is not social. It doesn't want us around when it eats. (I don't know if it is male or female - how can I tell) The cat is striped almost like a leopard, and the color is mostly gray with brownish stripes. What kind of cat is this?

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is helpful if you can post a picture, but it sounds like a stripped tabby.  Hard to to say if it is feral or stray... either way, if you want to provide the kitty a home, and make it a pet, you are in the right place to get lots of advice on how to do that! If you are happy with just feeding it, but never befriending it, just consider yourself as now being the owner of an outdoor cat.  The hard part is how you provide medical care for an animal that doesn't let you touch it.  Spaying/Nutering is a very good idea, for the cats health, and so that a whole bunch more strays don't start popping up!  Finding homes for homeless cats is no easy task...

Welcome to TCS, and please let us know more about you and kitty!