What Is Your Cat Like At The Vet?

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my boys, Neji, gets super anxious. To the point where he's panting by the time we get to the vet. Oliver is hell to actually catch and get into the carrier, but after that, he's just very still, and terrified. Hawke doesn't care. He takes everything in stride. Although, once, I didn't warn one of the veterinarians quickly enough, and she wrapped both arms around him, with one arm in front of his mouth. He's always had behavioral problems. Paritularly, he has a big problem with being restrained unless you grab him by the scruff. I adopted him partially feral, so...you can probably guess how that ended. Now they know him, and me, by name :blush::lol:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Felix tried his very best to maintain his composure when at the vet. He usually avoids the carrier when he knows we are going out. But once I get him inside, he's okay. Doesn't really put up a fight. The worst he'll do is pee himself or pee on whoever is trying to handle him. He is notorious for peeing when nervous and/or scared. That, and the "what have you done to me?!" face.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put out the carrier and they fight to get in. I have always made the carrier a fun thing, that is always out and open and has a blanket inside along with toys or treats. I don't know why people don't do this more, it makes the cat not hate it lol. My one cat loves being on a harness and leash and walking around so I can just walk her into the clinic and she loves meeting new people and animals.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Cats all cry the whole ride to and from the vet but at the vet they're totally different.

Callie is mostly calm and wants to explore the room, she doesn't fuss when being examined and I always get compliments on how well behaved she is. Everyone likes her. She usually craps in the carrier though, she never used to do that and only started one time when my Dad had to transport her in his truck. Ever since then whenever she's in the car for more than 15-20 minutes or so there's a pile of crap to clean up.

Fresca does not like the vet at all. She usually fusses and hisses, but her last trip she completely flipped and literally climbed up the side of my face, claws and all. My vet was freaked out and I had to ask a couple times for some disinfectant and a bandage, but it looked worse than it was. He put a note in her file to treat her like she's feral when she comes in for an exam. I think they're afraid of her now.

Tortzilla (my foster) wants to run and hide. She does not like being touched anywhere but her head and will hiss and growl the whole time, I have to hold her so she doesn't get away. She will occasionally try to turn her head like she's going to bite whoever is touching her but doesn't actually clamp down with her teeth.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee had his first appointment since being adopted almost a year ago today; and I thought he wouldn't get on since he's still terrified of strangers, however he was totally fine, like he'd been to the vet lots of times already and was used to it. He doesn't like the cat carrier so meowed a lot on the journey there, though when he was at the vet in the appointment room he began to get more comfortable and started exploring around the place, and even gave the vet a little head but, which is an affectionate gesture normally meaning that he wants to be stroked. The vet complemented his behaviour too, as she said cats normally hate the vet but Toffee was very placid and tolerant with her (she was very friendly and seemed to have the animal knack, haha). A good vet experience all round - though we have yet to take Fudge to the vet, so we'll see how that goes when we need to take them both back for their vaccinations.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toby is fine, unless you play with his mouth, he'll even purr and rub up on the vet and techs. He loves attention.

Chewie doesn't do or say much, he's kind of aloof, just sits there and lets them do what they need to. But will react a bit if he gets a needle.

Hank, at first, was frozen in fear, but once he was there for long enough, then the aggression came out! Like, teeth, claws, hissing, growling, attacks....they always made sure the experienced techs were there when he came in.

Then there was Fritz....My vet laughed SO hard. Fritz was just a happy fat cat. So calm, so friendly, not a care in the world.
We always bring treats with us whenever we go to the vet. And this particular visit was no different. So here we have fritz, on the table and the vet grabbed his tail to lift it so she could take his temp. And I was on the other end giving him treats. He was eating treats without a care in the world while the vet had a thermometer up him bum!. We had a good laugh. She said that NEVER happened before.

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is a beast. She's relatively easy to get into a carrier and doesn't fight once she's inside, just cries incessantly - really unusual for her as she's normally a very quiet cat. Getting examined by the vet is another story.

Last week when we took her in she was fairly well-behaved in the waiting room, though obviously scared. Once she got into the examination room though she doubled down and absolutely refused to come out of her carrier. Started thrashing when the vet tech tried to towel her and remove her, and did the same when he came back with a sedative. She thrashed before he could inject her and bent the needle, and when the actual vet came in he took one look at her, called her "something else" and took her to the back to sedate her.

Once we got her back home though she was remarkably well-behaved. I can't blame her for acting the way she does - she's a naturally skittish cat and her old owner used to take her to pretty much the worst vet clinic in our area. She used to have towels thrown on her and crushed into a carrier, then was probably treated similarly by the people at her old clinic. I'd say she did pretty well, all things considered, and she's not even mad at us for taking her in on Friday.

Resigned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's scared. Getting him to the vet is a nightmare for him and me. But apparently he is very sweet and doesn't bite or scratch anyone. He's just scared.