What is wrong with my newborn kitten?

crosshairkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My British shorthair just had kittens last week (with another male British shorthair) and I think one of them has a deformity. This is my cat’s first litter and I was having a shower when this kitten was born. When I came downstairs, she had given birth to one kitten and left it to go upstairs. We had set up blankets for her but she gave birth in the middle of the kitchen on hard wood floor and was playing with her toys after like nothing happened. I suspect the kitten was born for a while already and the mother cat didn’t eat the membrane, so the poor kitten was suffocating! I cut the membrane and he was fine. The mother cat gave birth to 3 more kittens an hour or so later and his other brothers and sisters all seem healthy! It has been growing normally and just opened its eyes when I noticed the deformity. I don’t want to say there’s anything “wrong” with him, but does anyone know what he might have? I’m taking him and his siblings to the vet tomorrow, but am very worried :(

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you see as the deformity? I see a normal kitten with its eyes half-open. time will tell if the membrane was cutting off the oxygen too long, it will show as delay in development, and not being coordinated. I wish him all the best!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crosshairkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oops I just realised I left out why I think there may be something wrong! Compared to his brothers and sisters, his eyes are very tiny. I don’t have experience with newborn kittens so I got very worried. This is his sister and her eyes are so much bigger - his other siblings all have very big eyes too. Thank you so much for the reply, I hope it’s because he hasn’t fully opened his eyes yet!

Attachments

Deacon Blues

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We used to raise Birman’s in the 1990’s. Then, we often found that one could not reliably predict what was going to happen with them until each cat was an adolescent. (Now, we only rescue ferals.)

Some time, and some love, will see you through. The little one will most likely be just fine….

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think he is a little slower than the others to open his eyes, they are just starting to open. Sometimes only one opens and then the other. Give him a week, I think he will be fine! Keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It reminds me a little of Downs Syndrom with humans... And I think it happens occasionally with cats too. Such cats usually are OK as home cats.
So, IF there is a fault its my guess for now.

Anyway, as the other said, with a little luck this may be entirely normal, just a little slower in development. The time will show.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crosshairkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the replies, it really settled my concerns last night! And it turns out, he’s completely healthy :) His right eye opened a bit more today, and he just seems to be opening his eyes slower than his siblings but it’s nothing worrying. He’s also the runt of the litter so the vet said to just continue monitoring him and it seems his eyes still have a lot more to open! :))
C12005FE-2FD1-4ED2-9682-912601104C5F.jpeg

Shenaaz clarke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous, I would take a rooibos teabag, soak it in warm water and then wipe kitties eyes with it. Then take a cotton pad soaked in warm water and wipe. He's eyes will be fine after that. Worked for me every time