What is wrong with cat's skin?

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a young outside cat that is pretty healthy. I noticed the last couple of days that she is scratching around her neck area. She's scratching enough that the hair is missing. These are the best pictures I could get as she won't sit still with her back to me. None of the other cats have this. What could be causing this?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did give her a flea treatment an hour so ago. Never had to deal with fleas before. I've had cats inside and outside for over 20 years so this would be a first for me. How long does it take to see results?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's possible an allergy of some sort, and if it's a flea allergy, it only takes one tiny flea to wreak havoc. But scratching around the head and neck is often times a food allergy. Have you recently changed her food?

As far as how long it takes for the fleas to die off after application of a treatment, I would imagine it depends on which one you used, and it should say right on the box. But it's usually within a couple hours. But as I said, if she has a flea allergy, killing the fleas won't necessary stop the itching right away. She might need a steroid shot to help with that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No change in food.