What is wrong with Bellabear?

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A couple of days ago our cat Bellabear started to act lethargic. She seemed to have some weakness in her back legs and hesitates before she jumps up on things. She has been sleeping a lot. I have felt all over her entire body and she doesn't seem to have any injuries or sore spots. She has been eating and drinking. She has always been very sneaky about using the litterbox so I'm not sure about that. She seems to like having her tummy rubbed all of the sudden which is strange because that is usually hands off territory with her. She doesn't seem to have a fever or a swollen stomach or anything like that. She does twitch a bit along her back when you pet her. She is a strictly indoor kitty. Just over a year old.

(that's her in my profile picture) I did call the vet and they said just to keep an eye on her and that it didn't sound like anything emergent but I just wanted to see what you all thought. I thought maybe it was possible that she was startled by a firework and fell and hit her hip or something but it is so hard to tell what is hurting a cat. 

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does sound like something medical could be going on; I'm glad you called the vet.  Though sounds from fireworks can really stress out a cat.

One of the ways I know Ritz isn't feeling well  is if she becomes more affectionate, if she seeks me out, if she wants to be on my lap more than usual.

Is she eating normally?  I'd also watch the litter box; though you might not see Bellabear peeing/pooping, take note of volume.  One of the signs of a UTI is decreased urine.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am kind of surprised your Vet wasn't more concerned.  Weakness in the hind quarters accompanied by lethargy in a young cat is usually a sign that something is not quite right.  If it were just her not wanting to jump like normal, that might indicate she had a bruised hip or something, but wouldn't necessarily account for the lethargy.

I would say if she is still acting this way in the morning, I would definitely take her in to be seen, perhaps by another Vet, and get some bloodwork done.  Is she drinking or eating  more than usual or have her eating habits changed in any way at all? 

that she's already starting to get back to her normal playful self!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning she ate and drank as usual and then used the litterbox...I watched her like a hawk. She seemed to poop the usual amount. Then later she peed...it seemed normal. She is walking around fine. The only thing she does gingerly is jump...last night after I posted this I noticed she has a slightly swollen left hip that makes her twitch when I touch it that wasn't there before. I think it just took a day for the swelling to show. I put a cold rice sock on it and that is bringing the swelling down. I think she must have been startled by the fireworks and fell and hit her hip.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So does she appear to be getting better as each day passes? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, she is almost back to normal. She jumped up on the fridge yesterday! She is just about to her usual routine. She is able to jump normally now...still seems a touch tired but she is back to her normal routine...I wish cats could talk so she could tell me for sure what was up. But, I am glad she is recovering. I put advantage on the other two today...I didn't put it on her yet...just in case she isn't 100% yet.  

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad she is better.  Yep, definitely would be easier if they could tell us what was wrong when they aren't "tip top"