What Is Tyrosine Dosage?

Ssgirlz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Black kitten must have tyrosine deficiency since coat it rusty. I can't find much info on dosage other than this picture, which seems like a lot.
I see other posts where they are giving cat 500mg twice a day.

(16g would be 32 500mg pills per day?)

Attachments

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you talked to a vet? I wouldn't give your cat any supplements without speaking with a vet first.
All kinds of things could make your cats coat dull, doesn't automatically mean its a tyrosine deficiency. What food are you feeding her?
My black cat went from low quality royal canin at the shelter with a dull coat to brands like wellness, lotus, and canidae and his coat is super shiny and soft now. Its grown a lot as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ssgirlz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Waiting to hear from the shelter vet. I assume she was eating low quality- was a stray kitten.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you talked to a vet? I wouldn't give your cat any supplements without speaking with a vet first.
All kinds of things could make your cats coat dull, doesn't automatically mean its a tyrosine deficiency. ...
I couldn't agree more. The vet must be involved here. I feel it's wrong to just assume that if portions of a black cat's coat is brown or "rusty", then it must be that a tyrosine supplement is needed. It's more complex than that, although I don't discount that tyrosine supplements may help your cat's coat. I just think a vet's input is necessary before messing with these systems. It could also be a copper deficiency, to name just one other thing. The system of amino acids and hormones and organs operating together is pretty complex. The balance of many of these each can affect the other. There could also be something wrong with the liver, kidneys, adrenal glands, thyroid, kidneys, etc. -- although in a kitten that might not be the first answer.

My own cat, a black and white tuxedo, must take Flovent and steroids for her allergies/asthma, and the excess steroids show up in her saliva causing the hair where she most often licks (like her inner forearms, as she washes her face) to turn brown. She is black everywhere else. Also, some teensy sections of the hair on her face near her whiskers, where the Flovent mask is placed on a daily basis, have a smidgeon of brown. The steroids obviously have some influence on melanin, tyrosine, at the least.

edit: I just saw that you have another thread about your kitty's coat - and I agree that another possibility with the coat's shading is that it's a fever coat
:agree:

Last edited: