What is this??

iarecrystal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today when my mom came home a few minutes ago she found that Louie was missing some hair on his back, near his shoulders. When I came home before her, I didn't notice anything.

It's like a perfect oval shape of missing hair that's about an inch big. It's got little red spots and it seems to be sore to the touch. This is weird looking and I took some pictures of it to show it in more detail. Sorry the pictures are a bit blurry, I took them from my cell phone.

Does anybody have any idea what this is??

pondwader

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looks like ringworm to me.
If it was sudden though is it possible he was burned or had a chemical spilled on him?
I'd take him to the vet in any case, if it is ringworm (not really a worm, it is a fungal infection) it is highly contaigious, to other pets and people as well.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I guess ringworm too. Careful your other kitties don't get it and you don't either. Seperate him right now before it's too late and they all have it. Watch them closely.

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i forgot to mention...prior to using the parasite treatment which i bought on ebay...
we had gone to the vet for the dog...with very little results
and to a dermatologist for us...he gave us a cream...
it just kept spreading

it is creepy stuff

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by reddicequeen

i forgot to mention...prior to using the parasite treatment which i bought on ebay...
we had gone to the vet for the dog...with very little results
and to a dermatologist for us...he gave us a cream...
it just kept spreading

it is creepy stuff
LOL tried to make it short
Took a detour .

madpiano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ringworm is easy treated with a fungal cream. My daughter had it last year from school (the cat didn't have it, thank god), but it spreads easy. It looks really bad and you would think that it will leave a scar, but it doesn't. You can get the cream from the vet or your GP, but it's prescription only. The one we got from the GP was good for humans and pets, just in case the cat would get it as well.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Uno had ringworm-You can go to any Walgreens or drug store and pick up an anti-fungal cream-Miconazole is the best and treat with that but I would first have it checked out by the vet. Good luck and wash your hands frequently!!!

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought ringworm would be more circular with a raised circle?
To me it looks like a reaction that I have seen with using advantage.
I would have it checked out by a vet before treating.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
the OTC anti-fungal creams, like for vaginal yeast infections, work for ringworm. but the ringworm i've seen was scalier & drier than your photos appear, so i would check with the vet, definitely!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iarecrystal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone.. I think the soonest we can get to the vet will be Saturday, and we will definetly go.

After reading the link someone gave about ringworm, I think it might be the problem. The spot on Louie is starting to get a little bigger and that was just overnight.
And after thinking about it, I think I know where Louie's got it from. Earlier this week we noticed that Buddy (indoor and outdoor kitty) was beginning to get really thin when he used to be muscular and healthy looking. He's also lost some hair in spots under his arms, where they touch his sides. And he lost some hair right where his tail begins.
So I'm thinking Buddy has ringworm, also. And the reason Louie probably has it is because his immune system might be a litte weak from the treatment he got from the vet last weekend. He had a mass in his stomach and the vet gave him enemas because he thought it was impacted feces, but it wasn't and it's still there. Both Louie and Buddy seem to be really thin right now, too.

I am going to try and convince my mother to let us get both Buddy and Louie to the vet sooner than saturday.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by iarecrystal

So I'm thinking Buddy has ringworm, also. And the reason Louie probably has it is because his immune system might be a litte weak from the treatment he got from the vet last weekend. He had a mass in his stomach and the vet gave him enemas because he thought it was impacted feces, but it wasn't and it's still there. Both Louie and Buddy seem to be really thin right now, too.

I am going to try and convince my mother to let us get both Buddy and Louie to the vet sooner than saturday.
keep an eye on yourself & anyone who plays with/strokes the cats - it's very contagious to both animals & people.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does not look like any ringworm I've dealt with.
There would more than likely be more than one spot, and it would be somewhat scaley.

That looks like a chemical burn or an allergic reaction to something.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't have the reddish ring on the edges either. I think it looks like the hair has been pulled out. You don't have a treadmill or anything similar that could have gave his fur a good yank,do you?