What is this?

intertwangled

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my community cats, who is probably about 5-6 years old, suddenly has some hair loss and scabbing under her tail and near her anus and upper legs. I thought maybe it’s an anal sac issue but the anus itself, though inflamed from licking, doesn’t look swollen like the examples I’ve seen in photos online.

There’s no other hair loss other than this area. Though it looks bad she doesn’t otherwise seem that bothered or itchy or in pain. She was just now sunning herself as usual and grooming all areas of her body as normal and not focused on the hair loss areas.

Will make a vet appointment (if I can get her there; she is semi-feral). But any guesses what could be afflicting her bottom?

Attachments

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my experience, hair loss is a sign of stress / allergies. If you think the main source of it is affecting her butt (which looks somewhat inflamed) it could be many different potential issues. See a vet as soon as possible to get it under control before it gets out of hand. I would guess they’d most likely put her on some kind of steroid which I know can be very helpful. Best of luck :cheerleader:

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Additionally, if you can lure a semi feral cat near you and distract with food, throw a blanket / towel over her (ideally have someone else to help) if that doesn’t work a vet can give you a sedative to help catch her.