What is this?

emhorsleyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! My cat has this red mark just outside the inside of her ear, I think maybe from scratching?
It is the only mark on her she has nothing else I’ve checked thoroughly, and she doesn’t seem bothered by it which is why I’m confused as to why it hasn’t healed, it’s been over a week?
Any idea what it is so I can ask a vet/ get some cream for it?
I don’t want to take her to the vet if it’s not necessary but I will if it is!! (Obviously)

Sorry first time cat owner so I’m still learning the ropes!
Thank you :)
58C72B67-9688-4743-9CA1-E1402613BF67.jpeg
0E9D129F-BBC3-4FA8-BE4E-9BE0811CF273.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! It is hard to say what might have caused it, but it doesn't look too bad from what I can see. As long as it doesn't become infected. it might heal on its own.

Some people will use plain Neosporin, but it needs to be rubbed in thoroughly for your cat not to be able to digest any of it. You could also try chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on that place with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for her to ingest should she do so.

You can always take routine pics so you can monitor any positive or negative changes.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd agree with the above.

With Neosporin or polysporin it MUST be the kind without pain relief (no lidocaine). I've never had an issue however, one of the antibiotics is a common allergen for cats so stop if it makes it worse.

Another tip is that you can always call and chat with your vet-tech. They should tell you if something is an emergency or just needs monitoring, and often what you should look out for. Ive not had a vet ask me to come in needlessly. Sometimes they do have me send a photo though.