What Is This On My Cats Front Paws?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are talking about the fleshy lump at the wrist, that is normal. If you look at you hand to compare, you got the toe pads (finger tips), the main paw pad (the thick fleshy bit just below your fingers) then the heel of the paw (the area below your pinky were your hand meets your wrist). Remember cats walk on their toes, the anatomy of the foot/paw may look a little off if you forget that. That paw pad is fleshed out more to help aid in gripping during hunting, climbing, playing, and running.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reddice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I googled the answer which was a waste of time all I got was lumps and possible cancer. The stupid search engine even took out the important words like lumps and paws. I also got useless books.google.com results that had nothing to do with anything even about cats.

If I remember my last cat Socks had them too but it was 6 months after we got these babies that I may have not noticed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is, I believe, anatomically their heel. If you look at the way the paw pad goes back to that spot you can see the way the bones run. It's called the carpal pad. Dogs (and all other pawed animals, I think) have carpal pads too. It can help with grip and traction when cornering quickly or climbing a tree but is mostly vestigial.