What is this growth skin tag looking thing on my cat's anus.? Please help any info would be great.

jaxdooey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Last night I noticed this black/brownish looking thing on my cat's anus. I thought it was a piece of feces so I went ahead and tried wiping it off with a tissue. It did not come off. I then tried with a warm wash cloth and nothing.He was getting annoying when I was wiping it. I got closer and held him down and noticed it was attached. It kind of looks like a skin tag of some sort i don't know. Its not on the fur. Its on his actually anus to the right of the hole. very very close to the hole so I am not sure about an anal gland problem, No swelling No redness. Acting normal as far as eating and playing. I have attached a picture. Any idea of what this can be? He is 5 years old and neutered. I am going to take him to the vet I just wanted to check first if anyone has seen or had experience with something like this. Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaxdooey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Highly doubt it. He is an indoor cat. Never outside.  It looks and feels like skin. Almost like a human skin tag or mole. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could well be an engorged anal gland, but they are usually at the 4 pm and 8 pm position. A visit to the vet is the best solution. The vet can express the gland or snip off the tag, whatever is needed.

jaxdooey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I been researching all things relating anal glands. Only reasons why i'm a little skeptical it could be anal gland related is there is no smell, no swelling or redness and the growth isn't located on or near the anal gland. My cat isn't scooting or licking the area.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are good signs it's not the anal glands. I guess you will have to wait for the vet's diagnosis.

jaxdooey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea I don't know if i should consider this an emergency since he is acting fine and there is no signs of swelling or irritation. Its just weird how it just kind of appeared, It looks and feels like a skin mole of some sort. Thanks for your response, I guess I'm going to have to take him in just to be safe.

papasof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Last night I noticed this black/brownish looking thing on my cat's anus. I thought it was a piece of feces so I went ahead and tried wiping it off with a tissue. It did not come off. I then tried with a warm wash cloth and nothing.He was getting annoying when I was wiping it. I got closer and held him down and noticed it was attached. It kind of looks like a skin tag of some sort i don't know. Its not on the fur. Its on his actually anus to the right of the hole. very very close to the hole so I am not sure about an anal gland problem, No swelling No redness. Acting normal as far as eating and playing. I have attached a picture. Any idea of what this can be? He is 5 years old and neutered. I am going to take him to the vet I just wanted to check first if anyone has seen or had experience with something like this. Thanks
Hello "jaxdooey"!
What did the doctor say? Is your cat ok?
I am asking because i noticed that my cat has something that really looks similar to this and it is near the same spot as this one. I am searching all over the internet, and your post was the only result i found and it's pretty close to what i was looking for. I am taking my cat to the vet, but i would like to know what yours said.
Thanks in advance!

AllieCat113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For anyone still wondering, this spot is the dried secretion of the anal gland. This is blocking the gland from secreting whenever your cat goes to the bathroom. As time goes on your cat will experience more discomfort and pain as the backup of the gland becomes more and more severe. I have recently learned this through experience with one of my cats. She had a skin tag like spot on her anus just like the one pictured. There was no smell, swelling or redness when I first saw it. But a couple days later I noticed her in distress while trying to defecate and being unable to do so. I rushed her to the vet where they removed the blockage and the buildup. They gave her some laxative just to make sure things got moving with ease and she's been a happy little pooper since then. I hope this is helpful.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A AllieCat113 An impacted anal gland might look like this but, as others have pointed out, this is in the wrong location for an anal gland (though the photo is not the best, so I might be wrong.) Glad your kitty is doing well. My Java gets the same thing, sort of like a blackhead on the anus :)