What is this coat called??

Ghosted

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my blue point Siamese cat escaped my home and got impregnated by what looked like a large solid grey tomcat with a blue nose. Thanks to covid having all vets shut down 5 months ago. Anyways no regrets it's been such a fun experience but half of the litter came out blue points like mom and the other two are grey but have stripes? I googled everywhere what is this coat? They are 5 weeks old do the stripes fade off? Here is pictures of both of the grey kittens one has much more stripes than the other IMG_20200727_170518.jpg IMG_20200727_170541.jpg IMG_20200727_170603.jpg IMG_20200727_170637.jpg
Second Kitty

IMG_20200727_170656.jpg IMG_20200727_170702.jpg IMG_20200727_170709.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are solid blue kittens with ghost tabby markings. The ghost tabby markings will fade eventually, as they get older. They are cute!

This is a great time to call the vet and set up appointments for them to get their kitten shots and get neutered and spayed before they go to new homes. Vets in most places are able to make appointments as long as you stay in the car while the cats are examined.

Is the mom the cat in this thread? My Adult Kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ghosted

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No she's old and I lost her to cancer last month sadly:(

This is the mother cat very similar though. FB_IMG_1595896792619.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm very sorry to hear about your cat! That must have been hard for you, with vet care being difficult to access.

The kitten vaccination series typically starts at 8 or 9 weeks. Kittens can be neutered and spayed around 8-12 weeks before going to new homes. Mom can be spayed at the same time. It's best for their social development to stay with mom and siblings until 12-14 weeks (10 weeks at the earliest). They are an adorable litter of kittens, enjoy them!

Ghosted

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh that's good to know I was told 8 weeks to leave mom that could have been catastrophic

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that's good to know I was told 8 weeks to leave mom that could have been catastrophic
Not catastrophic, just not ideal. But keeping them longer means you get to spend more time with your cute kittens, and give them the best possible start in life... a win-win :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dear daddy was apparently a carrier of the point gene. That is why you got this here result. The grey ones are them too carriers, precisely as daddy.

These ghost stripes are unusually strong, but they are still ghost stripes and should fade more or less completely.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Heres a pic of the whole litter their so cute
Sweet you got colourpoints out of that mating. The dad must have been carrying. You said he was solid grey but had a blue nose. I've been looking at a lot of cats lately and getting the idea that it's possible for a carrier of colourpoint to partially express, and it may even be possible for them to still have blue eyes. I may be wrong about this and I need to do more research.

There might be a softer, less dominant version of solid at the colourpoint locus that doesn't mask the colourpoint fully, but to be honest with you this is just speculation. However, if those solid blues grow up with blue eyes and slightly darker on the points, speculation confirmed.

Either way the dad of those kittens is a pure grey cat carrying colourpoint. You almost certainly would have gotten other babies if it was anything else (assuming those colourpoints are blue points, like the mum). So if you're looking at a big grey tomcat thinking that's that dad, it probably is.

Ghosted

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will keep you updated when they hit 7 weeks on this thread what the perm eye color was. I been curious myself if their gonna be blue all the way to the eyes or not.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I been curious myself if their gonna be blue all the way to the eyes or not.
Almost certainly no. In fact, conventional wisdom states that it's basically impossible and in all likelihood I'm chasing a wild goose.

However, if the solids are permanent blue eyes I'll buy one myself.

It'll be obvious if the solids change eye colour because you have colourpoints in the litter and we know those will be permanent blue eyes.

Ghosted

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought them closer to the light the eyes definitely already have a more greenish to them on the grey kits. So you are probably right.