What is this cat call?

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, there is a cat who has been walking around my house calling out for a few weeks. The first time I saw it, he/she looked fat and well-cared for. Now it's lost weight and its fur is looking coarse - it looks a little weather-beaten. I'm unsure if it's a stray or was dumped. I found a video with a similar sounding call - they list it as chirping, but this does not sound like a chirp to me. My cats chirp a lot and this is not it. I've heard this cat calling like this both at night and during the day. Is this a distressed call, a friendly call, or a mating call? It sounds similar to the video I'll post below. Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Apparently that link doesn't work. Trying again:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Male and female cats will make that call when they are out on the prowl for a mate. He may have slipped away from home to find a girlfriend.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I could not get to the video of the cat call. The fact that this cat was healthier looking when you first saw it, and now not so much would indicate to me that intervention is needed to get him checked out - regardless of what call he is making. Have you considered looking into rescue centers/groups to see if they could help trap it?

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Male and female cats will make that call when they are out on the prowl for a mate. He may have slipped away from home to find a girlfriend.
I wondered if it were a mating call. Another post I read was that sometimes a male cat will announce his presence when crossing the territory of another male, have you heard that? It's odd that he's hanging around my house looking for a mate and I only have 2 neutered male cats. Unless it's a female. Hmmm

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I could not get to the video of the cat call. The fact that this cat was healthier looking when you first saw it, and now not so much would indicate to me that intervention is needed to get him checked out - regardless of what call he is making. Have you considered looking into rescue centers/groups to see if they could help trap it?
Our rescue groups around here are completely overwhelmed, I do know that. I'll have to work on gaining trust, but he disappears the moment I approach. I'm happy to get him checked out if he will ever allow it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I wondered if it were a mating call. Another post I read was that sometimes a male cat will announce his presence when crossing the territory of another male, have you heard that? It's odd that he's hanging around my house looking for a mate and I only have 2 neutered male cats. Unless it's a female. Hmmm
I have a male, not sure if feral or not who visits one of my shelters at least a few times a week. I can hear him coming or leaving because he calls every few seconds all the way.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a male, not sure if feral or not who visits one of my shelters at least a few times a week. I can hear him coming or leaving because he calls every few seconds all the way.
I'm intrigued. I wondered if it were a friendly male call letting others know he's crossing over their territory. He looks a little thick in the face, like a male. Then again, in spite of having 2 cats of my own, I still don't feel I know much about cats. Here is one pic from the first time I saw him where he looked quite chubby, and the other from a couple days ago where his fur is starting to look rough and I thought he was starting to look a little weatherbeaten.
susanm9006 susanm9006 - If you had to guess, why do you think the male that visits your shelter calls when he's coming and going?
Stray1.jpg

Stray.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think 1) he is letting any females within earshot know that he is out and available and 2) like some cats he is just more vocal than others. One thing that does happen with males is they get into fights with other males so on the lookout for any wounds on this guy.