What is this and how can I get rid of it?

jwulf1992

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WIN_20220215_15_17_33_Pro (2).jpg
WIN_20220215_15_17_33_Pro (3).jpg
I had been putting vinegar and anti fungal shampoo on it. At first it seemed to help, but it keeps coming back. I think it might have even spread a bit from that main spot to below his left nostril (even though it looked different--more like black bumps). See also that by one of my scrubbing attempts I broke a bit of skin below the nostril. He really doesn't seem to be in the slightest bit of discomfort from it, and I really can't afford to take him to a vet right now. Any suggestions?

By the way it started to appear about three weeks ago. I do no think there were any "changes" in his day to day life during that time....

Also, he almost a year old. He has all of his vaccines and is neutered. I treated him for ringworm when he was about two-months old.

Last edited by a moderator:

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im not sure what it could be exactly but im guessing one of the following:
-fungal infection
-bacterial infection
-maybe feline acne

For general treatment:
Clean the area with unscented wet wipes or a warm water towel, use diluted hydrogen peroxide (make sure it isnt a wound first) or Betadine and dab that on, I usually supervise my cats for about 10 minutes when using this so they dont lick it. I would do this daily once or twice depending on the severity of the condition.
I noticed that when using this treatment my cats would have dry skin, so at night 3x a week i would apply coconut oil (or melted shea butter / olive oil) on the affected area, im not sure if it makes the condition worse though.

Tips for avoiding these problems:
- get rid of plastic bowls and replace with either glass, ceramic or steel
- Clean the bowl or plate after each feeding
- change out the water and clean the water bowl often
-if your cat is a messy eater and doesnt clean their face after eating, wipe away any excess food and gently wash face once a day.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jwulf1992

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. How do I prevent him from licking it while I'm supervising him?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could also try chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - from any local grocery store, as they are almost always German - you don't want English, nor do you want any additives or flavorings. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp, and use a soft cloth to clean the necessary area.

The tea has both soothing and healing properties and is considered an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent as well. It is also safe for him should he happen to ingest any. It could also be used to 'clean' the area as a preventative measure down the road, should it be determined he is just a 'messy eater'.

This, as with most OTC treatments, is not necessarily a permanent solution. But, it may aide in healing/cleaning up the area while you try to implement some of the 'avoidance' tips noted above for what might be the underlying cause. If none of those work, or any of the OTC treatments, then you know you will need to get him in for a vet exam.

jwulf1992

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What if the chamomile tea has some lemon flavoring in it?

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. How do I prevent him from licking it while I'm supervising him?
I enjoy playing with them during this time, they get their play time and the solution dries up without any licking. Its a win win situation. Oscar usually isnt interested in play time so I clean up his feline acne while hes asleep with some petting if he wakes up as a distraction.

jwulf1992

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The chamomile worked even better than the vinegar! The bleach made it worse. Thank you so much!