What is the most unusual food you ever sampled?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For me, it was fried rattlesnake- at a beach party no less! Sounds trite, but it "tasted just like chicken!"

What have you eaten?

cabbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had vegemite that was mailed to me years ago.... NASTY!!!! stuff tastes like a salt lick.... smells like *****

G

ghostuser

Cabbie you had better be careful with the vegimite talk around here, some are sensitive to it.--------but a ******salt lick

I tried jellyfish once. I didn't like it, they ground it up right in front of you, tentcles and all, they you eat it raw right then. Nope, tried one, tiny, ity, bity, tincy, weecy, beancy sliver and nope. I really don't think it tasted that bad but I mean I could have done w/o the slaughter at my dinner table.....
We had it packaged to go, figuring we'd see some homeless person who might be hungry, on the way to the train. We gave the neatly tied foil swan to this man with his home on his back and we didn't get 10 feet before he told us to F*** off.---I still laugh till this day, now if I want to feed any homeless I'll go in the store with them.

julieb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I ate an emu burger once... also whole baby octopus, which my husband thinks is the grossest thing ever. I've eaten some odd-coloured things in sushi that I'm not sure what kind of fish they were. Marmite, which is similar to vegemite, I tried once to humour a British friend - ewww!

cabbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cabbie you had better be careful with the vegimite talk around here, some are sensitive to it.--------but a ******salt lick
Sorry
but I thought it was a chocolate spread or something.... I just slathered it on bread and tasted it and went blech! Don't know how you Aussies stand the stuff

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am one of those people who insist on knowing what manner of creature the food is before I will decide whether to try it. Therefore, I have not had any unpleasant surprises in this area. I have turned down squid, octopus, goat, ostrich and beaver meat.

I guess the most unusual thing I've had is a taste of buffalo steak, which was quite yummy. Kind of like the leanest, more flavorful beef you can imagine.

And then there's the vietnamese drink I had once made from coconut milk, gelatin and some sort of beans. It wasn't terrible, but I would never order it again.

This is not to say that I am a picky eater. I love Indian, Italian, Chinese, Burmese and Polish foods. Have had some others (Thai, French, Belgian) which were also good.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cabbie mate, don't you go disrespecting our Vegemite! It is a wonderful and nutritious food and everyone in the world should be allowed to taste and therefore love it!

The most unusual food I had was Impala. Yes, those cute deer-like creatures that roam the African plains. I would like to say I didn't know it was Impala until it was too late - a big plate AND a second helping, too late.
This was when I was in South Africa.

The second most unusual food I've had was only unusual because I didn't know what it was - Spatchcock. Then someone told me it was pigeon and I was pretty upset LOL. When I found out it was really baby chicken, I was VERY upset. I had it in high school when I was nominated for some award and got to dine with our State Politicians.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bear sausage and squirls. My granda used to make rabbits and squirels stewd with tomatoes. it was good.

myste

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not a picky eater at all, I'll try anything once. I'm going to culinary school and we get 1 meal/day free at the international bistro there. Each night is a different themed meal, 3 weeks in rotation. Like Thursday was Middle East, which didn't think I would like but which I loved. Friday was chinese food, which I usually like but found disgusting there. In three weeks we'll have them again, with different students preparing them. I got to try Rockfish on Friday, but I can't give an opinion as it was over-salted and I couldn't taste the fish. I'd have to say the oddest thing I've eaten is probably alligator!

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wild Boar--which is like the best steak you'll ever have.

Never got up the guts to try smoked Eel when I was living in Germany.

I do love sushi, however, but not abalone or eel sushi (the raw ones because the abalone is too gushy and the eel is too chewy).

I don't like it when the food looks like the animal so I can't eat the fried baby octopus, but I can eat the regular adult calamari.

lhezzza

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have sushi often......

but -

Rocky Mountain Oysters ARE NO SUSHI!!!

(after watching Fear Factor no less)

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents LOVE Rocky Mountain Oysters. My sister and I won't even try them. I don't know, eating that part of the body just doesn't seem right. My Mom says they're really good, though.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have tried squid (calamari), but it was in Biology class, so we disected them and then ate them. That's what made it a bit strange. It was good, though. I was one of the only people who liked it.

Tried alligator sausage once, didn't care for that. It was too chewy.

I never thought it was strange since I grew up with it, but in our house heart was a delicacy - antelope, deer and elk hearts (my family hunted for our food, and that's almost the only meat we ate was venison). It is REALLY good - very rich and a very smooth meat. Imagine tenderloin x100.