What Is The Definition Of A "floppy Cat"?

calikitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've heard of floppy cats, mostly in reference to ragdolls, but not always, who go "limp" or "floppy" when you pick them up. Can someone explain what this actually means? I have two kitties that enjoy being held but I'd describe it more like they go into "liquid cat mode" when you do the baby carry. Is that the same thing? TIA!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd call liquid cat and floppy cat about the same. I tend to think along the line of completely relaxed. My Mom's cat, Nightfury, does this when carried. You can pretty much move him however you want, pet him or change how your holding him. He will just purr and knead contentedly the whole time. It's not always, you can rarely feel him tense up or he will decide he wants to be elsewhere. But most of the time he is just like a purring fluffy toy cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calikitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gotcha. Out of curiosity, do you think that is a nature or nurture trait? Or maybe some of both? People comment on how content these guys are when being held. The whole litter was like this. I figured it was b/c they were separated from mom too young and think of humans as "mom" but that seems like faulty logic since plenty of kittens end up raised by humans and they don't necessarily end up so cuddly. It's such an endearing trait, I bet Nightfury is a doll. =)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My guess, a little of both; nurture and nature. Nightfury was found half dead in a box at about four weeks old. He was nursed back to health and spent nearly every hour for months with my Mom and around my niece who was 4. He learned to love being held and attention from humans.

My boy Link joined us at 5-6 weeks old and despite being around humans just as much he doesn't like being held. He will tolerate it but you can feel he is ready to go as soon as you pick him up.

Nightfury probably has the right combination of nurture and nature to be a floppy cat. Ragdolls and Ragamuffins were both selectively bred for cats with the personality and combined with a good breeder for the nurture side of things you can get a semi reliable outcome. Funny thing is there was a second kitten with Nightfury who was much more independent and never as floppy.