What is the cost range of Insulin if kitty is diabetic?

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet is concerned that Charlie may be diabetic. True he has lost weight in the past couple of years. He mentioned that heavy drinking of water and urination can be a sign of it. He will get his blood work done soon. If it is determined that he is Diabetic and requires insulin what are the cost ranges per year that I will be incurring to treat him. I heard it differs by what type of insulin a cat needs. And I also heard that sometimes Diabetes is not even treated with insulin depending on the type. I also suspect that his levels may be elevated due to age etc, etc, etc. So, I am putting it out there for feed back just in case.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great place to get current info is the FelineDiabetes.com message board :) The main web site Feline Diabetes —Diabetes in Cats — Treatment and Diabetic Cat Info — FDMB has good general info.

Insulin cost does vary greatly by type and the type of container. Humulin N is fairly cheap as a 10 ml bottle but you'll probaby need to buy it monthly as it can lose effectiveness. Human diabetics can use up a 10 ml bottle quickly but not cats and their tiny doses. A pack of five 3 ml Lantus pens by comparison may cost about $200 but since each 3 ml pen is good for about a month, the pack will last you a good 5 months. I'm not sure how much pet specific insulins like ProZinc costs.

You'll need insulin syringes as well. You don't need a pricey big name brand like BD. I believe the FDMB board still has a section where people can post extra supplies they have. I've gotten free insulin syringes that way before for a diabetic cat.

Make sure the vet does a fructosamine test. That is the test that gives an average of blood glucose levels over the past few weeks, sort of like the AC1 test for Human diabetics.

Some diabetic cats may not need insulin. A simple diet change to low carb canned food is enough to lower blood glucose levels to a healthy range. Other cats may need both diet and insulin. It's generally suggested to try a low carb diet for a week post-diagnosis, retest blood glucose levels, and if levels are still high, start insulin. The sooner insulin and diet is started, the greater the chances of remission are. There are cats who will always need both diet and insulin to keep blood glucose levels in a good range. It doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. It's just how the cat's body is.

When I had a diabetic cat, there were months where I didn't have to buy any insulin or syringes or other supplies or even low carb canned non-prescription food. Members on the FDMB board can suggest ways to keep costs low.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great place to get current info is the FelineDiabetes.com message board :) The main web site Feline Diabetes —Diabetes in Cats — Treatment and Diabetic Cat Info — FDMB has good general info.

Insulin cost does vary greatly by type and the type of container. Humulin N is fairly cheap as a 10 ml bottle but you'll probaby need to buy it monthly as it can lose effectiveness. Human diabetics can use up a 10 ml bottle quickly but not cats and their tiny doses. A pack of five 3 ml Lantus pens by comparison may cost about $200 but since each 3 ml pen is good for about a month, the pack will last you a good 5 months. I'm not sure how much pet specific insulins like ProZinc costs.

You'll need insulin syringes as well. You don't need a pricey big name brand like BD. I believe the FDMB board still has a section where people can post extra supplies they have. I've gotten free insulin syringes that way before for a diabetic cat.

Make sure the vet does a fructosamine test. That is the test that gives an average of blood glucose levels over the past few weeks, sort of like the AC1 test for Human diabetics.

Some diabetic cats may not need insulin. A simple diet change to low carb canned food is enough to lower blood glucose levels to a healthy range. Other cats may need both diet and insulin. It's generally suggested to try a low carb diet for a week post-diagnosis, retest blood glucose levels, and if levels are still high, start insulin. The sooner insulin and diet is started, the greater the chances of remission are. There are cats who will always need both diet and insulin to keep blood glucose levels in a good range. It doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. It's just how the cat's body is.

When I had a diabetic cat, there were months where I didn't have to buy any insulin or syringes or other supplies or even low carb canned non-prescription food. Members on the FDMB board can suggest ways to keep costs low.
Thank you.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Online pet pharmacies are way cheaper
Also costco pharmacy will fill pet needs!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Online pet pharmacies are way cheaper
Also costco pharmacy will fill pet needs!

It depends on the insulin. Pet specific ones like ProZinc may be cheaper at an online pet pharmacy than directly from the vet. I don't think any Human pharmacy sells pet specific insulins. If a cat is prescribed a Human insulin such as Lantus, that can only be bought at a Human pharmacy. Costco may have changed their pharmacy to members-only due to the pandemic. Definitely call the local store before you go if you're not a member. I've heard of FDMB members living in the US buying insulin from Canadian online pharmacies and members sharing the cost of a pack of 5 insulin pens (5 people put in money to buy a pack and each gets one 3 ml pen). I've never done this. I have gotten free insulin from a local FDMB member whose cat no longer needed it.

Hope the OP is able to get more info from the FDMB and continues to post about the cat here :)