What is the best way to find where cat peed?

bluecapps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought a uv light because my carpet had begun to smell like mildew a few days back and apparently there were several urine marks/drops around the room (hundreds!). I got nature's miracle and poured it everywhere i could. Then, out of curiosity, my little bro took the light into his room and he also found hundreds of similar marks in his room even though the kitten has never been in his room.

So now i am wondering how i would ever find out where the kitten peed or left paw-pee marks/wet butt drops? (I still have to wipe his butt everytime he comes out of the litter box and i think he would have rubbed his butt against the walls/carpet whenever i was not there to catch him right after he had peed)

acro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A kitty shouldn't be drippy, nor should he be tracking through his urine. 

What is the litter and litter box set up like?  Has there been a recent vet visit?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluecapps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A kitty shouldn't be drippy, nor should he be tracking through his urine. 
What is the litter and litter box set up like?  Has there been a recent vet visit?
He's using the litter box perfectly fine. (The only problem is that he doesn't clean himself properly and usually has poop/pee stuck around his butt that i have to wipe. I try to catch him and wipe his bottom as soon as he gets out of the litter box, but at times he runs away and sits on the carpet after which when i pick him up he's usually all cleaned up (which means the carpet must be absorbing all that pee)

Vet's given him clean chit. He's up to date with all his vaccines.

I have had him since 3 weeks but carpet started stinking only recently. It smells as if it is wet/moldy. It's not very strong but i can still smell it at times. I wash the litter box every week and scoop out once everyday (after he poops).

He sprayed the rims of the litter box once but then i washed the litter box and the litter mat. I doubt the pee got on the carpet or the walls....then what could be causing this moldy/wet smell in my (bed)room. (My carpet was washed 2 months back and other areas in the house still smell fresh)

(I wish i could move the litterbox somewhere else like the laundry or the garage but my parents won't let me have a cat-flap and neither will they allow me to keep their doors open. I'll have to keep the kitten's litter box in my room...but it sucks!)

Last edited:

acro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A cat shouldn't have much residue on it's backside, especially after urinating.  Sometimes there will be bits of fecal matter, but it will be dry, thus it won't cause stains or order. 

Are your kitten's feces very soft or runny?  That is the only time I've seen feces stick around a cats anus. 

Also, How young is your kitten?  Maybe your kitten needs to learn how to clean it's self?   It's been more than 10 years since I've raised a kitten and I am hoping someone with recent kitten experience can chime in.  The issue might be a kitten problem that I don't know much about.  I've only adopted adult cats for many years, so any kitten specific problems I won't be able to help with.