What is the best type of clumping litter for allergic cats and humans

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first got my kittens I bought the cheap litter "kitty diggins" and "special kitty" from walmart but they were 'non clumping' and too 'dusty' so they trigger my allergies and asthma. So I tried "Tidy Cats" non clumping that supossedly is dust free but it doesn't clump so I had to change it every 3 or 4 days because the urine odor was unbearable. Then I tried 'clumping litter and I found out that is it last longer fresh and it is easier to clean but the one I got from Sam's Club was very dusty too.

I am allergic to dust and asthmatic and my River is also allergic so I need suggestions on what type of litter that clumps is good for us. I am a new cat mom so I really need some help! I appreciate everybody's comment!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friend co-fostered some cats that I trapped and were deemed to be young enough to resocialize/adopt out.

She had allergies to Fresh Step (dust), and based on some research we chose Tidy Cat--it was less dusty.  I also found that if I put the liter in the litter box and left the room for a while, the dust would settle and not cause so many problems.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My housemate has asthma and COPD...so dust is a big problem.  I have tried a LOT of different litters....the ones we found that have little odor, little dust....and the cats like....are the corn based litters.  I buy either Worlds Best or Arm & Hammer....I the WB clumps the best.  I also love the fact that they are biodegradable.  

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I like Blue Buffalo Naturally Fresh multi-cat. Even if you have only one cat you'll want to get the multi-cat formula because the regular stuff is dusty.

lilgreenastrid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like Swheat Scoop (fairly low-dust) and Blue Buffalo multi-cat (very low-dust). I don't like the Blue regular clumping - it just doesn't clump hard enough. I've heard from friends that World's Best is very low-dust.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
World's Best is also pricey. Of course health has no price but I'd like to know how long does it last? I ussually scoop twice a day because I have two cats. It is more convenient for me to clean more often than to clean different litters. And they don't have any problem with it as long as I keep it clean.

I've seen a bag of WB for almost $40, while most of the other brands sell for $20. Does the quality compensates twice the cost?

I bought a bag of 25 lbs Premium Choice Carefree Kitty Solid Scoop for $13 at the feed store. It's clumpable and it is not dusty. It didn't cause River nor me any aaah-choo's. River sounded very happy with his new litter (he was making sounds). I still don't know how well it clumps or maintains odors but if it works in those aspects too I think I will stick to that one.

Thank you very much to everyone for your comments. Some people say I shouldn't have cats because of my allergic asthma but I am not allergic to cats only to dust and to strong odors. And I wouldn't give up my kittens for anything in the world!

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As an asthmatic myself, I use Precious Cat litter. Been looking into Shwheat Scoop though, how's the clumping? Do you guys flush it? I've been looking for a dust-free, flushing litter as plastic bags with little turds and rocks can add up!

lilgreenastrid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It doesn't clump quite as hard as some other litters I've dealt with, but it controls odor amazingly, and it's natural and has no added scents, which were my priorities. It doesn't clump badly, though. Just not spectacularly.

I don't flush it because my parents aren't okay with that, but I have a friend who does, and she said it's great - she just advises letting it sit in the toilet for a few minutes to soften before you actually flush. Just be sure that your own plumbing and sewage system will take it well - some systems are simply not compatible with litter, even if it's "flushable."

I dump mine out in the woods to biodegrade. You can also bury it.

Last edited: