what is the best litter for respiratory health?

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what cat litter is best to use for cats and humans with respiratory problems?

i notice this clay or clumping is causing some of us humans and cats problems and it might have cause my cats the uri

is crystal cat litter good? does it last longer?

i been thinking about sand but i dont know now

thanks

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I like Naturally Fresh, a walnut based litter made by Blue Buffalo. You have to be sure to get the multi-cat type, though. Their regular litter is very dusty. I've only used the clumping kind, so can't tell you anything about the non-clumping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is the multi cat one no dust? i need something no dust or 99.9% dust free clay free

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
is the multi cat one no dust? i need something no dust or 99.9% dust free clay free
I see a little dust if I pour it into the litter box too quickly. When the cats are digging in it or I'm scooping I get almost no dust.

I've heard that the paper types of litter have no dust. The issue would be whether or not your cats will use it. My cats won't touch anything that's in pellet form. You could always try putting it in one litter box to see if they'll use it. If they do, you can switch out the other litter boxes one at a time. With the walnut litter my cats started using it immediately, even used that box more than the ones with their old clay litter.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was going to start at one box first the one they use the most to see if its being used then put it in the less used to see if it will be touched if yes on both then i'll do the rest to see what happends my cats are easy usually

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday's News is good, and not expensive. Some grocery stores have it, or you can get the big bag at PetCo or Petsmart. They have a "softer texture" version that's more like regular litter, not as pellet-y. Odor control isn't terrific. But if you change it often enough it should be OK.

Sand and crystal litters both have silica, which can cause respiratory problems for some people/pets.

I've found that any "natural" litters (pine, wheat, corn, alfalfa, etc.) make my asthma kick up. The clay clumping litter I do best with is Tidy Cats Premium Scoop. It's not cheap though! I haven't tried walnut litter yet but it seems like it would be less likely to trigger any breathing issues.

Last edited:

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might just go with the paper for now i dont mind changging more oftn

miaomiao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use Dr. Elsey's Ultra Precious Cat, and it's pretty good--there's little to no dust to speak of, and it clumps well.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how long does a 1 bag last per 1 cat?