What is the best limited ingredient dry food for cats?

Mow Mow -^-^-

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Going to try a limited ingredient dry food for my cat, her tummy is sensitive and she vomits more than she should. Is the Blue Buffalo basics food any good? What's a good limited ingredient dry food?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't have any direct experience with LID foods, but while you wait to hear from other members who do, here is a link to previous threads on the subject that you might find helpful (that is assuming you haven't already searched for them yourself - if you did, sorry).
Search Results for Query: LID diet

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do remember that, while Blue Buffalo products have a great marketing spiel, they have been sued one or two times, by Purina, for false advertising.

(Depends on how you count lawsuits. You could count filing a lawsuit that bogs down in paperwork then subsequently gets re-filed as either being one or two lawsuits.)

There is a LOT of B.S. marketing in the pet food industry. Many companies, not just Blue Buffalo, have been caught with their pants down, lying about ingredients that go into their food.

The lawsuit that I'm talking about, above, stems from the facts that Blue Buffalo claimed that their foods have no "byproducts" in them but, upon analysis, eggshell fragments and bits of feathers were found in the food. Those things aren't necessarily bad for cats to eat. Wild cats and some domestic cats that hunt will necessarily ingest a few feathers or other things when they eat from their kills. The point is that the company made claims their food to be "all natural" and "contains no byproducts" when it turned out to be a baldfaced lie.

Blue Buffalo turned around and tried to claim that one of their suppliers sent them some ingredients that weren't what they were supposed to be. Question... Where's your quality control, Blue Buffalo? Even if a supplier sells you the "wrong" thing, shouldn't you be able to tell that something's wrong before products go out the door?

The point I'm getting at here is not that any particular brand or product is bad but to say that you shouldn't believe everything you read on product labels without doing a bit of fact checking, first.

I suggest that you make a list of a couple-few different foods that you think might be best then try them out to see which one settles best on your cat's tummy. :)

I think that Blue Buffalo is good food. I'm just saying that you don't want to make a choice strictly based on the name.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned food might be easier on the tummy than dry food. LID food comes in canned varieties, too.

Albus

Tobermory Ragnarok
Young Cat
Purraise
We've been on Happy Cat Sensitive dry food line (cycling between rabbit, duck, and reindeer), paired with Addiction brand venison wet food. Once in a while we get Almo Nature dry food, which seems to be of better quality, but that stuff is pricey.