What Is The Best Cat Tree Material?

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am looking at buying a new cat tree. I want something that will last for a while. What material holds up the best? Carpet, fabric, etc....... Or do you have any specific suggestions of some high quality cat trees you like? I live in the US. Thank you!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Armarkat makes high quality cat trees. For the platforms, I prefer carpet. The fabric rips more easily especially if your cat(s) play rough on their tree. Most scratching posts are wrapped with sisal which is pretty good. I usually get my cat trees from Amazon.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a wooden one that has Velcro soft cushions that you can take off and wash and also sisal scratching posts. It’s held up really well. I got it from Costco years ago, not sure if they still sell it.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the fake fur fabric is best, but it depends on your cat, and what kind of cat tree. The two cat trees I currently have are carpet with sisal rope for some of the posts. The cats regularly tear pieces out of the carpet and even sometimes get claws caught in it. The other problem with carpet is that it can cause the cats to think carpet is ok to scratch and if you have any carpeted floors will use those to scratch too.

If I had a choice though I would go with natural wood with fabric covered sleeping ledges. With some of the posts wrapped in sisal or jute for scratching.