What is she doing?!

Briemmartin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so my 2 year old cat, Vollie, has been doing this since she was a baby, she likes to press the side of her mouth up against something (usually my hand) and make munching noises. I really can’t figure out what she’s doing or why she’s doing it but she’s done it since she was a baby. I have a video of it but I cant figure out how to upload a video in here. Anybody have any idea what this may be? Or can instruct me on how to upload the video since it’s hard to describe!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Yeah, a video would be helpful!! Last I knew the most recent upgrade of this site caused an issue with uploading videos and I haven't heard it has been fixed yet. Do you have YouTube? If so, you can load the video there and set up a link to it in your post on this site.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I'd say she is kissing your hand and call it a day. In the event you figure out something that makes medical or behavioral sense, it is not likely to be nearly as cute as that 😘

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is probably nuzzling/nursing on your hand. Just something that feels good to her and reminds her of her mom. If it bothers you you can try diverting her to a soft fuzzy blanket or piece of cloth that she can knead and nuzzle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Briemmartin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It doesn’t bother me at all, I actually love it! I’m just not sure if it is something explainable, I’m curious! I think it may be a security/comfort thing. I’ll try to upload it to YouTube!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd assume that's some kind of nursing/suckling holdover from kittenhood too. Apparently that can happen, especially if kittens are weaned from their mother early.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds so adorable, I would love to see it. I think all you need to do is click attach files below and then find your file.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Briemmartin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright I uploaded it!! Y’all go watch! It realy is the cutest thing, and I love it with all my heart, I’m glad to know it’s just a cute trait of hers! Thank y’all so much!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is so sweet! I wonder if she is doing that to 'pet'/'rub' her own cheek - it's as if she is using a stationary item - like your arm - then does the mouth movements to create a motion similar to being petted. I say she is petting herself!!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boone will do this to his sister's ear or to my shirt. It seems to soothe him. Gracie doesn't seem to mind that her ears end up sopping wet. I could do without the wet shirt though. We just have to let Boone do it until he feels he is done or he will just keep doing it longer. Growing up, I had a cat that would suckle on our ear lobes so this behavior is nothing new to me.