What is safest trap for kittens?

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the Trucatch adult traps, gravity closure. Their kitten traps do not have a back door, is that a big flaw? Thank you.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is only my experience with traps. I have never owned a trap with a back door. Mine are all Havahart and I have successfully trapped kittens in them; in fact, I own the Havahart kitten trap (if it is even still made) and it is too small, set differently, and was unreliable to trigger. They may have changed or improved it by now.

TruCatch is used by the professional human wildlife relocators in my area. When my neighbor had a problem with skunks, I agreed to release whatever was caught in the trap that was not a skunk, in order to save her the extra fee for the company to come out and do it.
I don't recall if there was a back door on their models or not, but I released everything through the front.

I have never had a kitten not trigger the plate on a Havahart; having said that, some have mentioned that if they are too light that they might not. If your concern is that the kitten may be hurt by the trap, you can set it so that it does not automatically close by just wiring the door to the top of the trap. You can then put a stick or soft drink bottle in the door and attach it to a long string and pull when the kitten is safely inside. If theory, if the kitten is all the way back to the trip bar on any trap, they should be safe from harm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your imput. I had forgotten about the string and bottle scenario as my concern was if they were too light to trip the door, this way the trapper is in control. I'm heading out now to see the size of the kittens.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Got my explanation ahead of itself. If you want to feed the kittens in the trap to get them used to it, wire the door open. If you want so use the bottle method, of course unwire it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I have been trapping about 14 years but rarely kittens and only have 1 kitten trap but a friend loaned me 2 of hers. I want to buy 2 and really wanted to know the best trap and I like the truecatch I have but didn't think the kittens weighed enough to set it off.