What is my siamese mixed with?

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Adopted a female siamese mix a few days ago.  At first we thought she was a Himalayan, seal point tortie, Siamese.  My vet said she is definitely Siamese but not a Himalayan or tortie.  Her face has a  cream stripe down her face but not the clean cut of a tortie.  Her hair is short.  Body is cream with  brown shading down her back & hips, points on ears & front legs, one brown back leg with white toes on back feet.  Her eyes are blue with one being lighter than the other.  Her face would be pretty but has bumps on the sides of her nose like a female lion.  Also, her face is brown but has light cream running down sideways her in front of her ears..  This gives her a comical look.  She is very friendly & gets along with everyone; trusting right from the beginning with other cats & strangers, fearless & extremely playful.  Vet said she is a little over 1 year.    I am afraid she will lose her affectionate behavior because I am not used to cats that wrapping themselves around the front of your neck and getting  hair in your face.  She is Ok with being picked up & carried around.  Not thrilled with nail clipping.  Not vocal but cries for more playing.  I play with her two to three times per day but it is not enough. Eats like a horse.  The vet said I have to cut down on the food.

Wish I could post a picture.  Have Iphoto on Mac & have not figured out how to do it.

Comparing her to my beautiful Rizzo; just a black & white house cat.  Probably too soon after his death but I was so lonely.  Well, she is mine now & in time I am sure I will love her.  Rizzo did not get into any thing & walked very carefully around things on dressers, etc. .He was so polite about moving around the house.  This little girl crashes into  & investigates everything & gets on the counters.   She won't let me tie my shoes.

I know my description is not very good & with no photo it will be hard to tell what she is.  Give it your best shot please. Will try to post a picture of her & Rizzo.

Thanks,

Diane

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its necessary you make an extra effort and put in a couple of good photos.  The question is not possible to give any guess nor effort otherwise.   I wont.   :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
    See if you can open this file.  I can't.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

See if you can open this file.  I can't.
I opened it, Diane! What a cute cat! I don't know what's mixed with the Siamese part but Luna's adorable! She sounds like a wonderful handful of a cat, very affectionate and fun.

On another note: personally, I think it's great that you got a cat soon after Rizzo. We did the same when our cat died in late 2013... adopting the new cats felt like the best tribute to our previous cat's memory and I couldn't bear not having  cat in the house. Our new cats are also very rambunctious compared with our elderly and very polite previous cat but we've gotten used to making sure the cabinets and drawers are completely shut, and there's no food left on the counters.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is a seal point with white.   What do do with that nose-piece, I dont know, if it is part of being a tortie, or part of being with white.    The second, perhaps. 

To be a point "siamese-mix"  you really dont need to be any siamese.   Its enough both parents were carriers of the otherwise weak point gene.   So the parent could have any looks.

But the point gene doubled up, one for mom one from dad, together gives the appareance in said individual of a point, not seldom an old type siamese - but not here...

It may be one of her parents was a point, but it is not necessary.   Points may pop up in almost any litter, typically one of four kittens in this litter, as hinted above.

Its quite peculiar how come she got dumped, being so friendly and so nice!   Probably she was in heat, and making a loudly fool of herself.

She could got astray too, but with this striking lools. she would be easy to find, if they make the least effort to seek after her.

I hope you are going to spay her, it will diminish much of possilble problems.

Congrats to your new furry friend!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, StefanZ.  She was transferred to our shelter by another humane society.  We thought this was odd because HS usually keep the pretty cats to themselves.  Turned in as a stray but sometimes owners do this because they can't afford to have them fixed and don't want to pay the small surrender fee, etc.  The first HS kept her for 3 weeks & no one claimed her.  The tip of her tail was broken in two pieces & fell off.  We thought maybe it got shut in a door.  She was a little under weight but looked like she had never been outside.  I got her from the HS where I work at & we spay, microchip, test & vaccinate every cat.  However, my vet said she had an umbilical hernia & was not spayed.  She will be spayed at the shelter next week.  Odd that she has not gone into heat that we know of in the last two weeks.  With blue eyes, doesn't she had to be a little siamese?  Thank you for helping with her breed.  When they come up with a DNA test for breed I will have her tested.

LisaHE, thank you for your kind words & encouragement!  We have an excellent volunteer photographer & he make her look beautiful!  She is pretty but my Rizzo was a living work of art.  Now that I can post a picture I will put one on the Crossing the Bridge thread for Rizzo.  Yes, she is more like my foster kittens than an adult.  Everything is a toy! She wants to play, play, play! She really needs a friend but I have a one cat limit at my condo.  I am thinking maybe she could play with my fosters this spring but they are usually sick when I get them.  I am trying to gently teach her to stay off the counters & eating tables.  Need to get her to slow down on the eating.  She acts like I am starving her if I limit the food to what she should have.  Leaving out dry for grazing does not work because it is gone in 1 minute.  Got treat balls for kibble but she has not figured out how to use them.  Maybe she didn't get enough at her first home.  She is very active, but even so, the vet said 250 cal per day.  Plan on kitten proofing today!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LisaHE, thank you for your kind words & encouragement!  We have an excellent volunteer photographer & he make her look beautiful!  She is pretty but my Rizzo was a living work of art.  Now that I can post a picture I will put one on the Crossing the Bridge thread for Rizzo.  Yes, she is more like my foster kittens than an adult.  Everything is a toy! She wants to play, play, play! She really needs a friend but I have a one cat limit at my condo.  I am thinking maybe she could play with my fosters this spring but they are usually sick when I get them.  I am trying to gently teach her to stay off the counters & eating tables.  Need to get her to slow down on the eating.  She acts like I am starving her if I limit the food to what she should have.  Leaving out dry for grazing does not work because it is gone in 1 minute.  Got treat balls for kibble but she has not figured out how to use them.  Maybe she didn't get enough at her first home.  She is very active, but even so, the vet said 250 cal per day.  Plan on kitten proofing today!
I hope your training with Luna goes better than ours with our cats! (They're a bit unruly...
) She's about the same size as our (very active) cats and I'd estimate they get about 250 calories a day, too, give or take a bit, day to day. If Luna doesn't slow down her eating, there are special dishes that slow a cat down. I've also read that you can put a golf ball (I think it is?) in the dish to slow a cat down. One of our cats eats too fast sometimes, too, and it helps to flatten her food in the dish and serve her small portions. Our cats were also underfed when we got them and I suspect Edwina's fast eating is a remnant of that time.

Good luck with the kitten proofing!