What Is My Cats Breed? Is It A Persian?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would say no to the Persian question. A very cute little one but the face shape is wrong for a Persian even for the less flat doll face version. Just not round or flat enough for either version. Also not quiet fluffy enough for a Persian. It looks like there is a short tail going on too? That isn't a Persian trait either. All around you have a lovely little white kitten that I wouldn't put any specific breed label on.

I lean more towards shorthair but possibly medium hair. There may be something specific in the background but I can't put my finger on it. abyeb abyeb any ideas?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking she's a shorhair, just with a thick double coat (like that of the American or British Shorthair). I don't think she has any Persian influence, her face shape isn't flat enough, and she doesn't have that stocky build of the Persian. Does she have a short tail? If so, she could have some American Bobtail influence, (she does have a body type fairly in alignment with an ABT), but a bobtail could also be a natural mutation too. Your kitten is so precious, and she would be called a copper-eyed white Domestic Shorthair. :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking she's a shorhair, just with a thick double coat (like that of the American or British Shorthair). I don't think she has any Persian influence, her face shape isn't flat enough, and she doesn't have that stocky build of the Persian. Does she have a short tail? If so, she could have some American Bobtail influence, (she does have a body type fairly in alignment with an ABT), but a bobtail could also be a natural mutation too. Your kitten is so precious, and she would be called a copper-eyed white Domestic Shorthair. :)
American Bobtail.... I knew she reminded me of something I have seen between the tail and the build. The color wouldn't fit with the breed so influence only. And the double coat for the fluff but shorthair. One of these days I'll know everything. Thanks abyeb abyeb

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
View attachment 180915 Thanks for your comments, the picture clicked was after he got a haircut and I wasn't sure what breed he is, ppl say he's a Persian but I am not sure, he's got quite a long tail though.
Persians look quite different: Breed Profile: The Persian, he does look more like a Mediumhair in the second picture, so he would be a copper-eyed white Domestic Mediumhair. :)

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What you have there is a Domestic Long Hair.

Domestic because of the head/nose/mouth structure
Long haired because the ear hair extends well beyond the edge of the ear - short haired kittens don't get this

If it was a Persian it'd be a ball of fluff long ago. As to the tail issue - it might just be a trick of the perspective in the first picture that makes it look short... if you want to know for sure the tail should be 39% of the length of the spine (don't include fur at the end of the tail) - if it's shorter than that it may have a Manx gene mutation but it'd still be a "Longy" which means few to none of the issues that come with a full blown Manx.

Here's an example of a Longy DLH all grown up:

^He's actually up for adoption now if you live in the GTA (he's an awesome cat - so friendly)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is lovely but I don't see any Persian in the mix. Persians are round and cobby. Your baby has a definite muzzle and the ears are high on the head, while the opposite is true in Persians - no muzzle and ears are lower on the head. Your cat is also delicately built. Persians should be solid with large, heavy boning. Whatever your babies heritage the cat is beautiful!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you have there is a Domestic Long Hair.

Domestic because of the head/nose/mouth structure
Long haired because the ear hair extends well beyond the edge of the ear - short haired kittens don't get this

If it was a Persian it'd be a ball of fluff long ago. As to the tail issue - it might just be a trick of the perspective in the first picture that makes it look short... if you want to know for sure the tail should be 39% of the length of the spine (don't include fur at the end of the tail) - if it's shorter than that it may have a Manx gene mutation but it'd still be a "Longy" which means few to none of the issues that come with a full blown Manx.

Here's an example of a Longy DLH all grown up:

^He's actually up for adoption now if you live in the GTA (he's an awesome cat - so friendly)
He is GORGEOUS!!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 180915 Thanks for your comments, the picture clicked was after he got a haircut and I wasn't sure what breed he is, ppl say he's a Persian but I am not sure, he's got quite a long tail though.
I'm thinking he possibly has some of the Turkish breed(s) of cat genes in him, as he is white and has a "normal" rather than a human-engineered "smushy" face. The true Persians, though, did not have that look; but they were and are very "cobby" in appearance, whereas your kitten is more long-legged and elegant in form.