What Is My Cat? Could She Be An Egyptian Mau Cross?

OlliG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I’m new on here, but I recently came across some articles about Egyptian Maus, and she reminded me quite a lot of my own kitty, Klio, both in appearance and in personality. She has what appear to be the characteristic facial/forehead and tail markings of a Mau as well as the flaps of skin that go from her flank to hind legs. I never really knew why she had them until I read that. She’s also very VERY vocal and talkative and demands cuddles when SHE wants them and has pretty bad separation anxiety when she has to be left alone. Loves to get inside of things and loves warmth and burrowing in blankets or jackets. Physically expression and loves to get on shoulders, especially as a kitten. Very smart and curious. Loves water. She’s even been known to get in the shower with me at times. Timid with strangers and any loud noises but ultimately very social. Spotted on some parts but more of a broken line of spots on others.

I just saw those descriptions and pictures and I though she may at the very least be a silver Egyptian Mau cross. What do y’all think?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OlliG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She also has those “gooseberry green” and almond shaped eyes which I’ve always found to be particularly striking about her. They can be very expressive.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's gorgeous! I would describe her as a silver mackerel tabby domestic shorthair. It's normal for mackerel tabbies to have some of their stripes broken up into spots, as she does. Note that Egyptian Maus do not have unique head or tail markings, and the belly flap is not unique to Maus either.... lots of cats have that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OlliG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's gorgeous! I would describe her as a silver mackerel tabby domestic shorthair. It's normal for mackerel tabbies to have some of their stripes broken up into spots, as she does. Note that Egyptian Maus do not have unique head or tail markings, and the belly flap is not unique to Maus either.... lots of cats have that.
Thank you! :) and I wasn’t sure about the markings or belly flap, but as I had been reading about Mau’s that was just a recurring thing that was stated about being distinctive to them.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats have a belly flap. When it's mentioned in a breed standard or breed description (as it is in several of the breeds), it's generally because breeders have noticed it appearing in their breed and simply want to communicate to the judges that it's acceptable, even on a cat that is supposed to be lean and muscular without excess weight, like the Egyptian Mau.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Kilo is gorgeous! Other than her markings (Egyptian Maus come in spotted, not mackeral), she is a nice lookalike to an Egyptian Mau. But, that is a rare breed, so it’s unlikely that she has any EMau ancestry. She’s beautiful no matter what!