What is my cat breed

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I bought this beautiful adult cat from a person who claims this cat is Chinchilla Persian and he bought it from a breeder. Even though I love this gorgeous male cat and I am happy I saved it from this person regardless of the breed, I am curious to know his actual breed. Which breed do you think he is?
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like you got the real deal there- congratulations- gorgeous cat.

1579041465179.png

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't speak to whether he is a purebred, but that's not your run-of-the-mill DLH. Beautiful cat regardless.

I believe we have a breeder of Persians on this board, so it will be interesting to get her opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't speak to whether he is a purebred, but that's not your run-of-the-mill DLH. Beautiful cat regardless.

I believe we have a breeder of Persians on this board, so it will be interesting to get her opinion.
Thanks. Would be good to know her opinion. The seller claims he bought him from a breeder, but the kitty is not microchipped. I doubt a registered breeder would sell a non-microchipped kitty, or what do you guys think?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Would be good to know her opinion. The seller claims he bought him from a breeder, but the kitty is not microchipped. I doubt a registered breeder would sell a non-microchipped kitty, or what do you guys think?

Looking it up it seems like it not mandatory in every state.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Are you talking about the US? I am in Australia.

Sorry, yes, I am talking about the states. Since July, 2018 it seems most of Australia requires breeders to microchip with the only state and territory that don't require microchips are South Australia and the Northern Territory.

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lovely cat!

It is possible that your kitty could be a doll-faced chinchilla Persian. "Doll-faced" refers to a Persian with a more moderate head type than modern flat-faced Persians. However, even doll-faced Persians normally have smaller noses, shorter and chunkier bodies, and fluffier fur than your cat. You can see these characteristics in the picture that jefferd18 jefferd18 posted, which appears to be a Persian.

I actually think your cat resembles a Burmilla more than a chinchilla Persian. Your cat has a broader and longer nose, more moderate head type, longer body, and shorter fur than a doll-faced Persian. The Burmilla breed was developed from chinchilla Persians and Burmese cats. Burmillas are less common than Persians, but they do exist in Australia. Another possibility is that your cat may be a mix of chinchilla Persian, and either domestic longhair or some other breed such as Ragdoll. Without papers, it's hard to say for sure what your cat's ancestry is, but I expect he has some chinchilla Persian ancestry in there.

Last edited:

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, yes, I am talking about the states. Since July, 2018 it seems most of Australia requires breeders to microchip with the only state and territory that don't require microchips are South Australia and the Northern Territory.
No worries, thanks for letting me know. I bought this kitty from someone in New South Wales and the seller claims he originally bought him from Queensland, but actually the kitty was born before July 2018 so it is possible the breeder in Queensland did not microchip him.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lovely cat!

It is possible that your kitty could be a doll-faced chinchilla Persian. "Doll-faced" refers to a Persian with a more moderate head type than modern flat-faced Persians. However, even doll-faced Persians normally have smaller noses, shorter and chunkier bodies, and fluffier fur than your cat. You can see these characteristics in the picture that jefferd18 jefferd18 posted, which appears to be a Persian.

I actually think your cat resembles a Burmilla more than a chinchilla Persian. Your cat has a broader and longer nose, more moderate head type, longer body, and shorter fur than a doll-faced Persian. The Burmilla breed was developed from chinchilla Persians and Burmese cats. Burmillas are less common than Persians, but they do exist in Australia. Another possibility is that your cat may be a mix of chinchilla Persian, and either domestic longhair or some other breed such as Ragdoll. Without papers, it's hard to say for sure what your cat's ancestry is, but I expect he has some chinchilla Persian ancestry in there.
Thanks for your reply :)
I am checking these options. His body is double the size of Chinchilla Persian and his fur is shorter indeed, but he is not a short-haired cat, and Burmillas are normally short-haired. His coat is more of a medium length, which makes me think that he is probably a mix. It also says Burmillas are very high energy, but my boy is super quiet and super friendly at the same time. He often comes and sits or lies down next to me and really enjoys it when I touch him, so he is even more friendly than a pure Chinchilla Persian. It also says Burmillas don't shed much, which my boy does.
Regarding Chinchilla Ragdoll mix, I googled the photos and none of them look like my cat.
Maybe he is a British Chinchilla? From what I found online the photos look quite similar to him. What do you think? British chinchilla

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Burmillas can be either longhaired or shorthaired. The ones I have seen at the shows are very sweet and affectionate, not high energy.
Here's a link to a breeder of longhaired Burmillas located near Sydney, Australia. You will see the resemblance to your cat in the pictures.
http://www.aaralyncattery.com/
Of course, your cat might just be some other sort of chinchilla Persian mix, but longhaired Burmillas look quite similar to your cat.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Burmillas can be either longhaired or shorthaired. The ones I have seen at the shows are very sweet and affectionate, not high energy.
Here's a link to a breeder of longhaired Burmillas located near Sydney, Australia. You will see the resemblance to your cat in the pictures.
[URL]http://www.aaralyncattery.com/[/URL]
Of course, your cat might just be some other sort of chinchilla Persian mix, but longhaired Burmillas look quite similar to your cat.
Thank you for finding this website. Yes, they do look quite similar to my cat. I wish I knew what really happened to this beautiful boy before I bought him and why the seller advertised him as Chinchilla Persian which he apparently bought from a Chinchilla Persian breeder, but this will remain a mystery 😄

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many people don't know much about the rarity of purebred cats and assume because it very closely resembles one in particular, it must be that breed or a mix of when usually far from true. No real way to know for sure. You have the fact that the person you bought him from says they bought it from a "breeder", but it could have just not been the best breeder out there or it may have been an accidental pregnancy. Never know. Man is he gorgeous though!