What Is He? A Little Bit Of A Savannah Or Bengal? Is He Just An Above Normal Athletic Cat?

DaveyB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hello,

I know he is mixed. I am just hoping someone can help me figure out what kind of cat I am dealing with. His name is Boomer and is loved by all. Especially the family dog. I have a fairly new family. A wife and 2 step daughters. Plus I have a 10 year old fat cat, who is socially awkward. Her name is Xena. We got Boomer almost 2 months ago. He is 4 months old now. The main reason we rescued him was for our dog Bella. She is Shitzu/Maltese. She doesn't like dogs at all. She loves cats but the cats don't like her. You heard of gender dysphoria? Bella suffers from species dysphoria. Boomer and Bella hit it off right away. They love each other. They sleep, wrestle and eat together. He is a perfect addition to our family. He even gets Xena to play every once in a while. So socially he has been great but there are some odd traits about him. He's not like any other cat I have encountered. The noises he makes, how tall he has grown in the short time we've had him, and the amount of food he eats is ridiculous. He cuddles but his ADHD lol is insane. When he does settle down to sleep, he is out. You can move him and he keeps sleeping. I have only had 2 cats so I am no expert. My first cat, Gabby, I suspect was killed by my neighbor. Gabby was a fluffy little orange cat. Gabby was very sweet. She loved to play and was very sociable with other cats. I only know this because all the neighbor cats hung out outside my house all the time. I only had her for 4 years. She is the reason I fell in love with cats. Xena was a gift from a friend after Gabby's death. She is 10 years old, She is socially awkward and a little overweight. I probably need to ask for some advice about her as well. For the most part she is a happy cat. She sleeps on her back. She tolerates my new family but does not interact with them very much. She tolerates the dog but they don't play together. She is my shadow and is fine with me and other animals. I never let her out the house because of what happened to Gabby. We have two animals with some mental issues. Boomer on the other hand seems to be mentally stable.

We have been doing some googling to figure out what kind of mixture of breeds Boomer might be. He is 4 months old and is the same height as Xena. Xena is pretty tall compared to most cats. My Gabby was average. I am excited/worried how big he is going to be. He was so tiny when we first got him. I chose him because he was laid back and the markings on the side of his face looked cool.From what information we have research from his markings, the sounds he makes, his incredible jumping and leaping ability we think he has either Savannah or Bengal in his bloodline. We may be totally off so I am hoping you guys can help. Thanks Davey

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He’s so handsome! I would describe him as a brown spotted tabby and white Domestic Shorthair. I’m not really seeing any specific breeds in him, although maybe someone else can see something that I can’t put my finger on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaveyB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He’s so handsome! I would describe him as a brown spotted tabby and white Domestic Shorthair. I’m not really seeing any specific breeds in him, although maybe someone else can see something that I can’t put my finger on.
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure either. I just know at 4 months he is growing at an alarming rate. Plus an extreme athlete. We have seen him on top of the 6 foot bookshelf and we have no clue how he got there.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a lovely young man! I would describe Boomer as a brown tabby and white domestic shorthair; I would describe his tabby pattern as broken mackerel (some stripes and some spots) which is commonly seen in domestic cats. I'm not seeing any obvious breed influence in him. There is a lot of variety in the domestic cat gene pool; individual cats can vary a lot in behavioral traits, growth rates and adult size.

Note that, although early generation Savannah cats are often extremely large, late generation Savannahs are more similar to domestic cats in size... therefore, large size in an otherwise domestic-looking cat isn't really an indication of Savannah ancestry. Boomer definitely doesn't have the look of an early generation hybrid.