What Is Going On???

monroeandroscoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 year old cat was having some issues a few weeks ago with going pee on my bathroom rug. To make a long story short, I tried everything until I finally just removed all access to the rug. After starting that routine he had no problems using his litter box. It's been about two weeks now, and today I accidentally forgot to shut the door to the bathroom and the rug was on the floor... He used the rug again. What on earth could his infatuation be with peeing on this particular rug??

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Does it have a non-stop (rubberized) backing? For some reason those rugs smell like someplace to pee to a lot of cats. We get donated ones at the shelter and use them for the dogs, but rarely in the cat rooms for that reason, and then only after they've been washed so many times they're threadbare.

That's why a lot of cat owners use rag rugs as bath mats.

Loki_Lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some babies are obsessed with rugs. Loki was obsessed with one when he was kitten, but I do not think he would ever pee on it as he dragged it from one corner of the bathroom to the other (I know, out of all the toys he had) :dunno: He loved to chew off the sides to get little strings come out it and went crazy on them!
I think your baby did that because it still has his smell in it. As you mentioned he had done that many times in the past and to him, it might serve as a secondary litter box- but I could be wrong! You might want to replace that rug with another one and see if he does the same. If he does not, well.. you know, it was just a silly obsession with that particular favorite pee rug. If he does pee on the new one, maybe check him for UTI? Good luck! :thumbsup: