What I Wish I Knew Before Adopting A Second Cat

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Echoing a lot of what's already been said here but have a few things to add.

The main thing I wish I had done (not necessarily known) when adopting a new cat is slow down. I think it's important to be honest with yourself about why you want a new cat, whether you're ready for it emotionally and financially, and try to resist feeling like this is your one and only chance to have a new cat - causing you to make a snap decision. This doesn't apply if you find a stray on the street and decide to keep it, or if you are trying to adopt an older cat at risk of being put down - this is for the average person with little to no experience who just wants to go adopt a kitten or young cat from their local shelter.

First, ask yourself if getting a second cat makes sense for your current cat. Your current cat should be your top priority. If they particularly skittish are happy being an only cat and have shown a distaste for other cats/animal family members in the past then maybe it isn’t best for you to get a new cat. If you objectively believe your current cat can learn to accept and benefit from a new cat, then carry on.

Second, it's going to be a lot easier on you and your new cat if you are not stressed out about money. Make sure you are ready for the added financial burden, because if you are stressed out it will stress your cats out and they will take longer to adjust to the new changes. A new adult cat is not going to be as expensive at first as a new kitten. Along with higher adoption fees, kittens often need deworming, vaccines, and you may need to pay for neuter/spaying. They also eat more than an adult cat many times their size and they will be energetic and playful, so you will be spending more on food and toys. You will also sink a lot more time into a kitten - playtime, scheduled feedings, and bonding time are a must and kittens have higher demands for all these things than adults. The younger the kitten, the more time they take. My number one piece of advice for getting a new kitten - do NOT balk at the shelter adoption fee ($100-300). Kittens cost this much for a reason - shelters usually take care of deworming, defleaing, first or couple rounds of vaccines, and spaying/neutering for all kittens. They may also microchip and give you a coupon for your first vet visit. Let me tell you from personal experience, this is the cheapest price you will get for all these services. I have already paid more than the most expensive adoption fee in routine vet care/vaccines for my kittens. Plus, as long as you pick a good shelter, you will rest easy knowing your cat is tested for FeLV/FIV and already treated for parasites. They will often tell you their history also.

I personally suggest trying to match the age and temperament of your current cat (if companionship is the goal). Do not do a blind adoption - go to the shelter and meet the cats and try to be objective about which one is a good match for your kitty. I also suggest getting a male cat because I’ve heard enough anecdotal stories that I believe male cats are more friendly with other cats than female cats. If you have an older cat and you want to adopt a kitten, I highly suggest adopting two siblings. Shelters that know what their doing will insist on this (if they have siblings) anyways, but there are many good reasons to get two kittens at once - they will play with each other, learn from each other, and keep each other company, putting less of a burden on you to do these things. They will also bother your current, older cat less because they can play with each other - this really helped my older cat take to the kittens quickly compared to when we adopted one kitten.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Echoing a lot of what's already been said here but have a few things to add.

The main thing I wish I had done (not necessarily known) when adopting a new cat is slow down. I think it's important to be honest with yourself about why you want a new cat, whether you're ready for it emotionally and financially, and try to resist feeling like this is your one and only chance to have a new cat - causing you to make a snap decision. This doesn't apply if you find a stray on the street and decide to keep it, or if you are trying to adopt an older cat at risk of being put down - this is for the average person with little to no experience who just wants to go adopt a kitten or young cat from their local shelter.

First, ask yourself if getting a second cat makes sense for your current cat. Your current cat should be your top priority. If they particularly skittish are happy being an only cat and have shown a distaste for other cats/animal family members in the past then maybe it isn’t best for you to get a new cat. If you objectively believe your current cat can learn to accept and benefit from a new cat, then carry on.

Second, it's going to be a lot easier on you and your new cat if you are not stressed out about money. Make sure you are ready for the added financial burden, because if you are stressed out it will stress your cats out and they will take longer to adjust to the new changes. A new adult cat is not going to be as expensive at first as a new kitten. Along with higher adoption fees, kittens often need deworming, vaccines, and you may need to pay for neuter/spaying. They also eat more than an adult cat many times their size and they will be energetic and playful, so you will be spending more on food and toys. You will also sink a lot more time into a kitten - playtime, scheduled feedings, and bonding time are a must and kittens have higher demands for all these things than adults. The younger the kitten, the more time they take. My number one piece of advice for getting a new kitten - do NOT balk at the shelter adoption fee ($100-300). Kittens cost this much for a reason - shelters usually take care of deworming, defleaing, first or couple rounds of vaccines, and spaying/neutering for all kittens. They may also microchip and give you a coupon for your first vet visit. Let me tell you from personal experience, this is the cheapest price you will get for all these services. I have already paid more than the most expensive adoption fee in routine vet care/vaccines for my kittens. Plus, as long as you pick a good shelter, you will rest easy knowing your cat is tested for FeLV/FIV and already treated for parasites. They will often tell you their history also.

I personally suggest trying to match the age and temperament of your current cat (if companionship is the goal). Do not do a blind adoption - go to the shelter and meet the cats and try to be objective about which one is a good match for your kitty. I also suggest getting a male cat because I’ve heard enough anecdotal stories that I believe male cats are more friendly with other cats than female cats. If you have an older cat and you want to adopt a kitten, I highly suggest adopting two siblings. Shelters that know what their doing will insist on this (if they have siblings) anyways, but there are many good reasons to get two kittens at once - they will play with each other, learn from each other, and keep each other company, putting less of a burden on you to do these things. They will also bother your current, older cat less because they can play with each other - this really helped my older cat take to the kittens quickly compared to when we adopted one kitten.
Really great suggestions, Espalia Espalia and apart from not having a gender bias after living with cats of both genders all my life, I'd agree 100%!

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Really great suggestions, Espalia Espalia and apart from not having a gender bias after living with cats of both genders all my life, I'd agree 100%!
I would also take the gender thing with a grain of salt. Cats have their own individual personalities, and that will matter much more than gender. I personally have two female cats (not littermates) who are both very affectionate, both to me and to each other. One demands to be picked up multiple times a day in order to better head-bunt my nose and cheeks. She sleeps curled up around my head each night. The other ensconces herself on my lap at every possible moment and will stick her head under my hand if I'm not petting her. Both groom each other and cry when they're separated. I have also lived with a male cat who was not nearly as affectionate.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great replies you guys thanks a lot! What I've gathered from all your comments is:

• Don't worry too much, you can and should plan ahead but every situation and every cat will be different
  • Similar energy levels/temperament is important, and people have different views on what sex to put together. For me, I would love a male for my female but as far as I can gather personality is more important than sex.
  • Do the research on how to introduce two cats and follow/try all of it
  • Goooooo..... veeerrryyy..... slooowwwlllyyyy..... fooooorrrr... theee.... best..... resuullttttssss.
  • Ideally foster or have a back-up plan for when things don't work out and the cats still hate eachother after 6 months. Some cats really are loners.
I think I will be fine! I take Elf for walks and she always likes interacting with the neighbor cats and always acts excited to meet them, even when they don't. (She has one boyfriend outside who visits almost every day haha!) But I'm gonna follow all of your advise! I have all the time in the world for a slow introduction because, after the intro phase we get to enjoy a peaceful home together forever! I am however a little nervous, because I have been in a home where the cats did not get along and that is not pleasant. At all. Fingers crossed!:crossfingers:

View attachment 198667
Bonus pic! After a summer of 10-minute meetings they kiss noses and rub on eachother (It probably helps that I bring treats sometimes :lol:) I'm hoping this is a good indicator that Elf doesn't want to be an only cat!
Yow, so typical!

And so sweet.

On a cold winter's night, they'll make space in a finite bed, sofa, etc. Pet all as equally as possible.