What has your cat caught??

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar is an indoor cat, but he is a voracious hunter. He has caught 2 mice, his first was when he was just 4 months old and I was so proud of him. The mice don't come in here now!

He loves to hunt flies and moths. Unfortunately this usually results in the destruction of my flat, as he will stop at nothing to get to them. Once he even raced up my body and leapt off my shoulder in pursuit of a fly - OUCH!

Yesterday we had 'The Great Fly Hunt' which resulted in the destruction of the kitchen. I heard a crash and saw Radar dashing away from the draining board, he had knocked half of the washed dishes out of the rack and into the sink when he landed slap bang in the middle of the rack trying to get a housefly. I ended up swatting it with a rolled up newspaper before he broke anything in his attempts to catch it.

Sonic hunts toes. He's very good at it

faustmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Faust has only brought a dead mouse in the house. However he has brought home half eaten mice, rabbits, birds, squirrels, etc. Her Majexty has only brought home birds, and never eaten them.

Faust lived in the country though for about three years and he really became a barn cat, but now is more docile and doesn't bring as much home. The mouse was pretty recent though and it freaked me out.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are indoor cats, and the most they've ever managed to catch is flies.
When I lived with someone with outdoor cats they brought in mice, rats, parts of birds, and various other bits. It's not to pleasant to nearly step on stuff like that.

mygirlmidnight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Midnight has never brought anything to the house before. She has left a dead mouse and a dead chipmunk that she killed. on the porch.

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last night my cat caught a chipmunk. SHe was in the process of "beating" it to death i dont know WHY she does that when she could just bite it and kill it instantly but anyways i got a bucket put the chipmunk in it and snuck away

This morning we found the remains of a brown rat well just its long hairless tail

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I first got her, Sheba caught mice. Then last spring I let her out one day and within one hour she left one dead bird at the front porch and one at the back door. Thereafter I haven't let her out except on leash and harness. I don't feed the birds just to draw them to their death!

Red Cat caught one bird the first year I had him. I think that was eight or nine years ago. I yelled at him, he let it go, and it flew off. He hasn't caught a bird since - that I have seen. He does, however, catch mice and rats. He loves a nice fat rat! He never brings them to the house; he just eats them. So I'm sure he catches far more than I know about. I can often tell how good the hunting was, however, by how much or how little he eats of his kibbles.

The only things I've seen Purdy catch are spiders and flies. He survived as a stray in the area for at least six months before I took him in, so he might be capable of catching more. But he is a laid back cat and seems to prefer just living "on welfare" in my household.

claire1973

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

I think it would be easier for me to list what Humphrey hasn't caught!!!

Lets just say I have had my fair share of presents of him

cobywan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Natty has brought an assortment of birds, reptiles, and insects into my house. My personal favorite was a woodpecker that had been damaging my house and I always was trying to get rid of, Natty did the job for me. Her second best one to me was about an 8 foot snake she brought in one night. I was getting up to go to the bathroom and I stepped on it. Needless to say I was quite startled. But proud

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat caught a clawful of fur from my other cat. She has been hiding in her cabinet all day because she thinks she is going to get in trouble from me.

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cobywan

8 foot snake? good god what kind of snake was that? here snakes never grow that big,, im suprised the snake didnt turn the tables on cat! Even bobcats and GHO's sometimes have a tough time with 6 foot snakes

margot23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, when it was just him, was an indoor cat only. had never even seen the backyard. We came home one night and there were feathers everywhere. Somehow he managed to catch a bird. Still havent figured out how it got in.
My fiance's cat brought a LIVE snake in their house once, and dropped it. The snake went straight for the heating ducts... luckily they were able to catch him before he became a snake flambe.

dragonfly183

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats have caught an endless assortment of moles and mice and squirrels. I had one come home dragging a 5 foot long poisonous snake and a full grown rabbit another time. There was another time they caught a virus from a kitten that had been dumped off (I have become the half way house for every lost, injured and unwanted cat in my area) that gave them uncontrollable diarrhea

zenovea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 2 hunters...Marli usually catches lizards, small birds, things like that. One day when I was at work my husband called to tell me she brought in a chimpmunk and let it go in the house...he spent about 3 hours trying to catch it before he finally did. Bob has also caught chimpmunks and brought them in the house...the first one was trapped in our sunroom (and was caught and released back outside...the 2nd one didn't have the fate...i found him after Bob had detached it's head!!! I wasn't very happy with Bob after that and told him if he was going to eat his catches he had to do it outside where I didn't know about it! So far he is obeying my wishes!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny, I just blogged on this topic. My cats have caught all sorts of things. Especially Kit. She was born in my flower bed. Her mother was a stray. She (by necessity) spent part of her kittenhood outside. Luckily, it was a very safe place to have outdoor cats. She's killed birds, snakes, squirrels and once a baby bunny that was as big as she was. That one was hard.

Friday's only good at catching lizards. They move very slowly.