What has been your worst job so far?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I must say I never had a terrible job
Well, now that you got me thinking, I did have a very boring one when I was 16. I had to type some of the phone book into a data base. I was the only person at that office and it was basically very boring but I only had to do it for 2 weeks so I didn't really mind.

I had some bad moments in the army, especially getting frustrated with stupid superiors, but overall I really enjoyed it. I only left because the internet seemed like a new el-dorado
I also enjoy what I'm doing now (even though the pay is lousy
)

julieb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The ickiest job I ever had was shovelling up sawdust spills in the woodyard of a pulp mill. It wasn't too bad when they were in the yard, but when we had to shovel in the tunnels below the yard, it got pretty hot (this was a summer job the year I graduated from high school). There was one really bad one, a spill in the end of a less-used tunnel that had been there for a couple of months before they found it. Water had poured on top, so it was rotting. It was no longer sawdust but slime... this job paid pretty good, though. Gotta love unions!!

The job I had that was both the best and worst was in a geological laboratory. I got paid a full-time rate, but I only had to work 3 hours 3 days a week and 1 hour the other two. However, on the two one-hour days I had to use really scary chemicals to dissolve rock powder. The worst was hydrofluoric acid; if you get this on you, it can pass through your skin without hurting it and start dissolving your bones if you don't notice it right away. I had to carry in my purse a tube of calcium replacement cream so that if I left work and noticed a spill, I could put it on right away and get to the ER. Speaking of "ER", fans might remember an episode in which a security guard at a chemical company got a whole barrel of hydrofluoric acid spilled on him in an accident, and all they could do was just wait for all his organs and bones to dissolve and then he died. This is the stuff I was working with!!

On top of that, I had been unemployed (with no unemployment insurance) for several months prior to getting this 8-week contract, and it was 6 weeks in before they even started to pay me. !@#$%* government!!