What happens to your cats if something happens to you?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I realize this is a morbid thought, but it is one we must consider.  Normally I'd post something like this in the Lounge, but this is more diet specific in that my cats were sick (raging diarrhea) on all the canned I tried.  My cats are on raw only, other than the hairball treats I've been having to give again due to the bad hairballs lots of us are seeing this year.  The person I hoped would take them in the event something happens to me has just had 4 cats dumped on him, and he's not going to take these cats.  As much as it saddens me, at least I have an honest answer.  I don't want my cats going back to the shelter (kill shelter) and frankly I see no other kind solution than to look into euthanasia in the event of my death.  I'm sure some will think that's mean, but what would happen to these cats if they were sent back to the shelter in 5 years and can't eat canned?

What would you do?  Thoughts? 

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think about that, not all the time but often enough now. We have two cats and one is "special needs", soon to transition to at least partial raw. I know if he goes back on a diet of kibble, it will also mean a lifetime of expensive drugs and vet visits. If someone either doesn't feed him properly or want to commit to the time and expense of drugs and vets, he will likely suffer a lot then eventually die.

My husband and I are planning to set up a small trust to ensure the cats are fed what we believe they need to be fed, but I haven't yet identified the person I would trust to carry out our wishes.

In fact, just the other day when I was fretting over something Tim did nor did not do (the special needs cat), I told him he'd better not stress me to an early grave because no one would care for him the way I do. Not even my husband, though he'd come closest.

I really don't know. Maybe what you propose as a possible solution, euthanasia, would be kindest if you cannot find someone to care for them properly.  I am keeping my eyes open for a potential caregiver, however.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When our cat died six years ago, we decided no more pets. We'd spent years with cats, neighbourhood cats, finding homes for stray cats, guinea pigs, kids, other peoples' kids, students showing up at our door, fish abandoned at term break by students ...

And now we have two special needs cats that take up a lot of our time. We have had one night away in the last four years. Both cats inherited, and both I had to fight for because they were going to be put down. 

What I'm trying to say is that there are people out there, even when they keep saying 'no more cats.' Look for someone who understands cat behaviour and is respectful of cats, which is different from just throwing some food down twice a day, petting, and cleaning out the litter box.

Last edited:

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If something happened to me, my boyfriend would probably go back to free feeding dry Whiskas and letting Mo (his cat) just live out the rest of the years his dried up little kidneys can give him. Honestly, I haven't thought much about it (thought more about the birds since birds are harder to find knowledgeable homes for, and I've had them for so many more years). If my boyfriend couldn't care for Kismet anymore and I wasn't around, I would want him to return her to the rescue we got her from. At least there, she'll have a foster home.

My uncle is a huge cat lover, but my aunt is not. My brother likes cats, but I doubt he would want to take in more than one if something were to happen to both of us. My parents wouldn't. I have a couple of cat-liking friends, but I think they'd be a last resort because they feed junk and never vet their cats. It's tough, and unless you have someone like-minded or at least interested in the way you care for your pets, it's going to be hard to find someone who is willing to change the ways they know to accommodate your pets the way you want.

This is a huuuuge stretch, but the international parrot community I'm also part of had a longtime member get slapped with a divorce, no money, and no home. Within a day, she already had two fellow members on the phone who drove to her the next day to take her five birds into good (in fact, better) homes. Like this forum, the members have a general consensus that X, Y, Z are good, vetting required immediately, quarantine, and socialization. If there was a case where maybe you didn't die, but something awful happened where you could no longer care for the cats, there could be some aspect of community - a community you know and that knows you and your care standards - willing to reach out and help.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter has 2 dogs and 2 cats, my older son has one dog and 2 cats. Only my younger son who still lives with me has no pets of his own.

He adores all animals but has my soft-spot for cats. l'd trust him to look after mine and would leave my life insurance to the cats 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do think about this occasionally. My twin sister will/would look after Ritz should I die/be hospitalized for a long time. She smokes, so the environment isn't idea. But sure beats the alternative.
And, I do really need to do a Pet Trust. (I am a legal secretary--I have no excuse not to.)
When my mother died, my twin sister took over the care of Lovey (a dog), who had some serious medical issues. I was the executor of the estate, and my name was on my mother's checking account, so I would write my sister a check to reimburse her for Lovey's care.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really don't think my cats would be able to handle a shelter life. They're used to the freedom of a farm yard and the warm love and comfort of my bed at night. Never mind thinking about what they would do if they were all separated.
In the event that something happened to my boyfriend and I, I would hope that my mother would at least, take Nel and Atticus (our two, mostly indoor cats). The other four it's hard to say. Two being a mother and daughter inseparable pair. The other two, whom I like to call "kitty soul mates", one of which is semi-feral and really only likes me. They wouldn't make it in a shelter environment. I do have plenty of family I could turn to but most of them have a fur-family of their own already.

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

When our cat died six years ago, we decided no more pets. We'd spent years with cats, neighbourhood cats, finding homes for stray cats  ...
Sounds like us! And I'd just gone through the heartbreak of losing four cats and one dog in approximately one year. But then my husband heard about these two black rescue kittens that needed a home. When he met them, he could not bear to separate them, so now we have Abby and Tim.

I am hopeful I could find someone to care for them adequately, especially if we provide the funding for it in a trust.

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought about this BEFORE adopting my companions. The reason being that I'm dealing with a chronic illness that could render me incapacitated - or worse. So the FIRST thing I did was arrange for a "Godparent" for them should something happen to me.

They are not special needs so should it come to pass, they would likely live on dry food which the Godparent feeds her cats. Better than the alternative.

Also, because I live alone, each evening after cleaning the litter box, putting down fresh water and food I call a friend telling things have been catified. Meaning that they are okay for another 24 hours. If I'm not heard from each day, then they will come around the next day looking for me and to take care of them.

Sounds grim, but odds are in my favor of NOT needing to have to rehome them with the Godparent (not the friend)... but one never knows when they may be involved in an automobile accident! So that's what I've done.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I realize this is a morbid thought, but it is one we must consider.  Normally I'd post something like this in the Lounge, but this is more diet specific in that my cats were sick (raging diarrhea) on all the canned I tried.  My cats are on raw only, other than the hairball treats I've been having to give again due to the bad hairballs lots of us are seeing this year.  The person I hoped would take them in the event something happens to me has just had 4 cats dumped on him, and he's not going to take these cats.  As much as it saddens me, at least I have an honest answer.  I don't want my cats going back to the shelter (kill shelter) and frankly I see no other kind solution than to look into euthanasia in the event of my death.  I'm sure some will think that's mean, but what would happen to these cats if they were sent back to the shelter in 5 years and can't eat canned?

What would you do?  Thoughts? 
You won't need to worry about this problem for some time. Please God.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You won't need to worry about this problem for some time. Please God.
Well, things like car accidents happen.  Hopefully not, but they do happen.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.  I of course would rather my cats go into a loving home and be fed what they need, but I need to plan for the worst.

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Well, things like car accidents happen.  Hopefully not, but they do happen.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.  I of course would rather my cats go into a loving home and be fed what they need, but I need to plan for the worst.
So then, do you have pet health insurance? I do, despite money issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So then, do you have pet health insurance? I do, despite money issues.
No, I couldn't afford it.  Maybe once I'm on my feet a little better I can do something about that.  So long as they stay on their raw diet their IBS doesn't flare up.  Well, other than this being an awful year for hairballs.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have pet insurance even on my budget and I have a "plan" in effect... My sister will take some and my friend, Lisa, would take the others.  They'd be split up, but it's better than going to the shelter any day.  So I would asks my sister to take the ones that are bonded like Piper and Phoebe and Paige.  And Lisa would get King Arthur, Tyrion and Morgan La Fay.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm blessed to be a part of a circle of people who are all cat lovers. With the exception of my brother, who likes cats but is allergic, my parents, sister/brother-in-law, boyfriend and his kids, cousins, aunts, uncles, friends, co-workers, etc. are all feline focused. There was actually a [friendly] fight on who would take Sebastian. Everybody wants him. But they only know that he's the sweetest cat ever, but requires SO much care at home (unbeknownst to them).  
  My parents, my boyfriend, and my best friend are all in line and willing to take my cats if something should happen to me. They all "said" they would do their best to care for them like I do, but they need instructions. Okay...instructions. I can do that. So, no lie, I am in the process of writing a cat manual - who needs what, who eats what, personalities, quirks, litter box habits, special setups, etc. etc. This is going to be HUGE. Might need to break out the external hard drive to store this thing. 

Last edited:

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So your plan is to have them euthanized and be buried with you?  I'm to be cremated and considering something similar.
I was actually joking. I hadn't given it any thought really as there would be no place for them to go. Maybe back to the breeder?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
 Along with owning cats, I am a longtime GSD owner and moderate a website which offers support to GSD owners whose dogs have been afflicted with debilitating illnesses, specifically degenerative myelopathy which is MS in dogs.  This question frequently comes up because most members have no one to whom they can give a large, crippled dog in the event of their demise, sometimes not even to a spouse.  

The cats I own now are older and will be euthanized in the event that something happens to me. I do have three trustworthy friends set up as beneficiaries of policies which will cover this expense and also compensate them for their kindness to my cats.  Instructions, with photos and information about personality, are with my will and trust.    There is not a no kill shelter in my general area, and the shelter with the highest rate of cat adoptions sounds to me as if they basically gave a cat to anyone who walks in the door. 

State laws may differ regarding actual animal trusts and burial regulations, One of my friends has a large teddy bear which at her passing is to be unstuffed and the ashes of all her GSDs are to be put inside and placed with her.....thereby hoping to circumvent the human/animal burial regulations.

stiletto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm lucky in that I have a good support system. If anything were to happen, my husband would care for them and continue to feed raw. In the even that myself or my husband passed, my brother would take them. He is also a raw feeding supporter.

I didn't have to convince them of the benefits. They saw the changes in my cats with their own eyes, and I was more than willing to answer questions they had.

Last edited: