What "gifts" have your indoor-only cats brought you?

catcafé@home

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While I've had them, my cats have never had any live prey encounters bigger than small insects, which, depending on the cat, they either just eat or try to catch but aren't quick enough. My longest-owned cat which I've had for a year and a half has occasionally engaged in behaviors that feel like what I've heard about dead animals being proudly presented, and I'm curious if anyone else's cats have.

The first time was when she got into my then-housemate's room and explored for a while, then came back to me bearing a mini antler off of a statue to set in front of me. We we never know if she found it already broken off or decided to rip it off as a trophy. Last night, she twice walked over to me meowing with the tone of voice I'm used to her using while carrying a toy to mean "play with me," but each time she just set down particularly large chunks of meat from her dinner. I didn't really know what to do but gave her some pets.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
At our other house, the cats (indoor only) had access to the attached garage if the firedoor was not closed. They brought in a few rats and, realizing that I was not appreciative enough, skinned the last one and left it on the computer keyboard.

While you did not ask this, a previous dog used to bring possums inside and present them to me.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
All of my cats have been indoor only. My first cats (long ago and far away) had access to a screened porch, though. They used to bring me lizards. Another long-ago cat caught a mouse that she did not want me to have, so we had a merry game of chase around the house until I managed to get the still-living but badly crumpled mouse away from her. Lily, who crossed the Bridge two years ago, once proudly strutted into the living room with a stunned and unhappy bat. Most of the insects the cats have caught over the years have ended up in their tummies. Fresh protein! :lol:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats are all indoor and enclosure cats.

They've brought me leaves, pine cones, crickets, butterflies and moths, long feathers that have dropped off the ravens and a dead lizard.

Frank is obsessed with those round make-up sponges. I have to keep buying them because he steals mine and buries them outside.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my boys Scooter & Casper are indoor only cats. I don’t let them outside cause of the stray cats that’s in my neighborhood. I don’t have the space for a catio sadly. But both can still see outside from their spots in the window.

Anyway Scooter he will grab one of his toys walk around the house and meow with the toy in his mouth. He will sometimes bring his toy to me wanting me to throw the toy for him. He has also brought me balled up napkins and paper towels.

Casper well since he is 1 years old he is still mischievous he will bring me stuff he has stolen. It can be anything from my socks or whatever he found interesting in the house. One time he brought me a roll of toilet paper that I kept under the sink. After that I had to move the toilet paper elsewhere. Oh he also brought me a keychain he got out of my purse. He is definitely a little rebel.

englishpixie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dear departed tuxedo cat Ambrose had to have two teeth out right after I adopted him and turned out to have a VERY strong reaction to anaesthetic. He seemed okayyyy by bedtime, but when I woke up in the morning he’d left a melted ice pack outside my bedroom door that he’d dragged all the way there from the kitchen sink!

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I been presented with loads of toy mousies, a dead leaf or two, a birdie feather (or four), Tigger has historically caught frogs and mice and brought them in (she cannot hunt now though, her bad back leg won't allow her to move fast enough to actually hunt)

Oh I have historically been presented with a "dead" sock from the dirty washing, and one time I got presented with a "dead" bra :lol:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The girls are indoor only. They don't even want to go outside. The closest the get is the screen room out back but it's fully enclosed. We're in Florida. Most of the time it's way too hot and humid for anyone to be outside for long. Especially if you're wearing a fur coat.

Every now and then a baby lizard will get in. The girls don't hunt them. They just look at the lizard then look at me like, "are you going to do something about that?" I just take it back outside and let it go. What they will go after are palmetto bugs. They don't really hunt them though. They treat them like toys. They will pounce on them and bat them around until they die and then ignore them. They don't eat them. I just find the corpse and throw it out.

They were out back once and I went to check on them. A small lizard had gotten in. I was concerned that they would kill it but they did not. It looked like the three of them were having a meeting. I finally decided to let the lizard out because I wasn't taking any chances but here's a picture of the "meeting". Lily is on the left, Sophie on the right. As you can see, they could not have cared less that the lizard was there.

1695500552463.png

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The girls are indoor only. They don't even want to go outside. The closest the get is the screen room out back but it's fully enclosed. We're in Florida. Most of the time it's way too hot and humid for anyone to be outside for long. Especially if you're wearing a fur coat.

Every now and then a baby lizard will get in. The girls don't hunt them. They just look at the lizard then look at me like, "are you going to do something about that?" I just take it back outside and let it go. What they will go after are palmetto bugs. They don't really hunt them though. They treat them like toys. They will pounce on them and bat them around until they die and then ignore them. They don't eat them. I just find the corpse and throw it out.

They were out back once and I went to check on them. A small lizard had gotten in. I was concerned that they would kill it but they did not. It looked like the three of them were having a meeting. I finally decided to let the lizard out because I wasn't taking any chances but here's a picture of the "meeting". Lily is on the left, Sophie on the right. As you can see, they could not have cared less that the lizard was there.

View attachment 460205
Willow would be like "What the hell is THAT? Get rid of it NOWWWWW meowmy", she's a baby, she doesn't like things that can move fast across the floor, she yowls at big spiders when they do that :heartshape:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Willow would be like "What the hell is THAT? Get rid of it NOWWWWW meowmy", she's a baby, she doesn't like things that can move fast across the floor, she yowls at big spiders when they do that :heartshape:
They used to chase the lizards that got under the screen room door that leads to the outside but gave up on that when they realized that those little guys are lightning fast and can easily climb up the screens to get away. Shows how smart they are. They don't waste their time or energy unnecessarily.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats are nice, but we have a raccoon who regularly visits our garden looking for leftover cat food. He's brought me socks, workman's gloves and half an old towel that had been thoroughly chewed. He regularly rearranges the painted rocks and big sea shells I have out on the deck.

He's a good raccoon.
Raccoon1.jpg

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are nice, but we have a raccoon who regularly visits our garden looking for leftover cat food. He's brought me socks, workman's gloves and half an old towel that had been thoroughly chewed. He regularly rearranges the painted rocks and big sea shells I have out on the deck.

He's a good raccoon.
View attachment 460232
I love raccoons. I've come to call them "rake-ins" thanks to Ricky from Trailer Park Boys. Another Ricky-ism.

There's a clip of it on Youtube. Ricky and the raccoon. I was going to post it but there's an F bomb.

Also check out the racoon whisperer on YT. I love all of those chonky babies that he feeds. 🥰

TPB and TRW are two of Canada's greatest gifts to the world.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen him! Isn't it amazing to see all those lovely, round fluffballs eating hotdogs.
Yes it is and they are so well behaved with him. There are so many of them you'd think there would be fighting among them but no. He doesn't put up with bad behavior from them and they have learned that he always has enough food for everyone. I'm watching one of his videos right now. The rake-ins are definitely getting ready for winter. :hyper: