What Funny And/or Unusual Things Have You Done To Get Your Kitties To Eat? :-)

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 Thanks ! I added it to my autoship.
I usually scrape the food back in a nice little pile, easier to eat that way. Since her way of eating pushes it all over the place.
As to other kitties I fully admit using the smorgasbord method....can after can after, well you know. :paperbag:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Cozy Morgenstern is sick right now and on syringe feeding. To encourage him to eat I put extruded the food from the syringe onto my hand (that he wanted to gnaw on anyway). It worked great!
Sorry about your baby being sick, but glad that you found something that works. Is Cozy his name? I really like that. :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't 'top' any of these, but wanted to share anyway. Whenever Feeby comes to eat - even if there is food in her dish already - she sits in front of the dish and waits until I either put a couple more pieces in or shake the bowl and show her there is food in it. She can't look and see for herself??

As far as wet food, she has to have it scooped up multiple times. She eats some and spreads it everywhere in the dish, then walks away. I go to her dish and scoop it all back into a pile, and then we repeat the whole thing until she's done.

With her water dishes, one inside/one outside on screened in patio, she hardly ever 'bothers' with the inside one. But, as she has aged, she started pulling the dish outside to her instead of getting close enough to lap from it. Even though it is on outdoor carpeting, there was always a huge wet spot and constant filling of the dish because she knocked out most of the water by pulling it across the floor. So, I bought her a bowl with a rubber bottom. Now, she just uses her paw to drink with since she can't as easily move the dish to her. Pretty much still the same amount of water on the floor...

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't 'top' any of these, but wanted to share anyway. Whenever Feeby comes to eat - even if there is food in her dish already - she sits in front of the dish and waits until I either put a couple more pieces in or shake the bowl and show her there is food in it. She can't look and see for herself??

As far as wet food, she has to have it scooped up multiple times. She eats some and spreads it everywhere in the dish, then walks away. I go to her dish and scoop it all back into a pile, and then we repeat the whole thing until she's done.

With her water dishes, one inside/one outside on screened in patio, she hardly ever 'bothers' with the inside one. But, as she has aged, she started pulling the dish outside to her instead of getting close enough to lap from it. Even though it is on outdoor carpeting, there was always a huge wet spot and constant filling of the dish because she knocked out most of the water by pulling it across the floor. So, I bought her a bowl with a rubber bottom. Now, she just uses her paw to drink with since she can't as easily move the dish to her. Pretty much still the same amount of water on the floor...
My Krista does that where she'll sit in front of the food to see how else I'll sweeten the pot and bring her to the dish. She also pushes the food to the edges and walks away like she's done. Except she knows that she's not. I come over and fork it all to the center and she comes back like, "Busted. Okay. I'll eat more."

Lately we've hit a sweet spot with the Tiki Velvet Mousse and Aloha Friends. It's 3 parts Tuna with Pumpkin and 1 part Wild Salmon Mousse on top. Much less food leftover for us to argue over. I think she's actually inhaling that stuff the way I hear her grunting and snuffling while she eats.

She's a pancreatitis kitty so I insist on a clean plate every time. Even if it takes some tuna water and some ground up bonito tuna flakes (her other Krista Crack!) But ask me next week and she'll have changed the rules again and I'll have thought of some new way to keep her eating.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have let mine eat off my plate with me during dinner. I love them, and I don't mind. Cats are such clean creatures, it just doesn't bother me. Wild salmon is a favorite.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista's teaching me new tricks every day. Now I let her eat as much as she's going to eat on her own. When she walks away, I scrape up her food and put it in a container and dish it back out to her plate, a bite at a time. "What's this? more food? I could do one more bite." It's also like a scarcity thing like where did all the food go? I'd better eat this while I can. Pretty soon the cat who walked away from a plate of food is nosing my container for another bite.