What Funny And/or Unusual Things Have You Done To Get Your Kitties To Eat? :-)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems that every day is an adventure in trying to get our chronically sick kitty to eat, and we've learned to pretty flexible and creative.

For example, Buddy is a former stray, and after five years, he still hasn't gotten the hang of eating out of plates. He prefers to eat off of butcher paper, or paper sacks, or boxes, or the comforter, or on the pages of a book I'm trying to read, or...well, just about everywhere BUT his plate! :lol:

He also likes to eat out of a spoon, especially when he's congested. Buddy's sinuses are all screwed up from chronic infections that went untreated before we took him in, and can't smell his food worth a darn. So we got into the habit of waving a spoonful under his nose to help him get a good whiff, and now he thinks that's how he's supposed to be fed.

Then sometimes he seems to want to forage for his food. So we'll roll his pate style food into little balls about the size of a marble, and set them just inside a paper grocery bag, or just under the hem of a favorite blanket, or anywhere he's likely to pass by and 'find' his own dinner. Other times he prefers for the little balls of food to be arranged in a row, like he's eating his way through a buffet line.

We've also resorted to rolling the little marble sized balls of food across the floor for Buddy to 'catch,' or throw into the air like it's live prey. Yes, this is one of the reasons why raw food isn't an option for us! :wink:

Oscar has a peculiar ritual where he likes for the first few bites of his food to be put on a hand towel in the window sill. Then once he's finished that, he'll jump down and happily eat the rest of his dinner out of his plate.

So since we're always on the lookout for new ideas, and can always use a good laugh...

What sorts of funny or odd things have you done to get your cats to eat? :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's some dedication right there. :thumbsup:
I've never tried rolling the pate up into balls. But I've tried putting treats on top and sprinkling catnip on top. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Maybe I'll try rolling it into marbles like you. :)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
This is more about medication, but when my roommate's cat wouldn't eat the pill pockets anymore, I would dip them into a tiny bit of coffee ... she loved the smell of coffee and it worked for a week or two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's some dedication right there. :thumbsup:
I've never tried rolling the pate up into balls. But I've tried putting treats on top and sprinkling catnip on top. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Maybe I'll try rolling it into marbles like you. :)
Oooh, catnip! We'll have to give that a try.

We had some modest success for awhile with crushing a couple of PureBites with our fingers and sprinkling the dust over Buddy's food. Then one day it just didn't tickle his fancy anymore. :ohwell:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grinding up cat treats with a hammer to put on wet food that my megacolon cat didn't like. . . feeding off a spoon. . . dropping dry food from above to get him interested. . mixing it with chicken stock. . .cats are annoying :rolleyes:
A hammer sounds like a great idea for crushing treats! I could only think of a rolling pin, or shaving them with a paring knife. I didn't trust myself with the cheese grater. I'm all for our cats getting a little extra protein in their diet, but not that way. :biggrin:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is more about medication, but when my roommate's cat wouldn't eat the pill pockets anymore, I would dip them into a tiny bit of coffee ... she loved the smell of coffee and it worked for a week or two.
Coffee?! I never would have thought of that in a million years. It's strange how certain things can really pique a cat's interest. One of our cats has a fetish for green olives, so if I never need to pill him, I may want to start there. :lol:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love to eat off of a fork? ?? If i would stand there and hand feed them the wet food with a fork i think they would eat everything. I do this when one of mine is off the food. :rolleyes:

sometimes i even put a few spoonfuls of food on the counter, by where they normally eat out of their plate. I think if its on the counter, not on a plate they think its a treat?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah. If I drank coffee she would walk up my chest to smell my breath.

Our cat Gohan also loves coffee. RIP to a lovely computer when he headbutted the coffee cup and spilled it into the laptop!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love to eat off of a fork? ?? If i would stand there and hand feed them the wet food with a fork i think they would eat everything. I do this when one of mine is off the food. :rolleyes:

sometimes i even put a few spoonfuls of food on the counter, by where they normally eat out of their plate. I think if its on the counter, not on a plate they think its a treat?
Cool, more cutlery kitties! :)

One of our cats used to like to eat off the kitchen counter, as well as on the floor by his food bowls. Then he developed a wicked case of chin acne that got infected, so we had to break him of that habit. His bowls are ceramic or stainless steel, but the counters and floors aren't! :lol:

Our vet said he has a cat that will only eat off the sidewalk. Cats and their strange ideas!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah. If I drank coffee she would walk up my chest to smell my breath.

Our cat Gohan also loves coffee. RIP to a lovely computer when he headbutted the coffee cup and spilled it into the laptop!
O noes! Sorry to hear about your laptop's unfortunate demise. :(

Thank goodness my computer is a desktop, or I'm sure it would have suffered a similar fate. But there have been lots of close calls re: the keyboard... ;)

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Persian has this habit of scattering his kibbles all over the floor before eating. If its on the plate, he wouldn't eat it. So I just let him be. But for wet food, each time he attempts to also "scatter" them like he does to the kibbles, I take the bowl from him and place it back again, until he eats properly. He is also very choosy with his food. If he does not seem to want to eat I sit beside him, pet him, talk to him as I talk to a human baby until he gives in. It does not often work, by the way. It usually sends me to panic mode when he does not eat in one day.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Persian has this habit of scattering his kibbles all over the floor before eating. If its on the plate, he wouldn't eat it. So I just let him be. But for wet food, each time he attempts to also "scatter" them like he does to the kibbles, I take the bowl from him and place it back again, until he eats properly. He is also very choosy with his food. If he does not seem to want to eat I sit beside him, pet him, talk to him as I talk to a human baby until he gives in. It does not often work, by the way. It usually sends me to panic mode when he does not eat in one day.
How funny! I'm glad you have at least somewhat better luck than we do about getting your cat to eat out of a bowl. Buddy just can't seem to understand the concept. As we say here, "Bless his heart." :)

But I totally understand what you mean about panic mode. Many years ago, we lost one of our cats to hepatic lipidosis. So I tend to get super paranoid when any of our kitties aren't interested in eating. :eek:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
How funny! I'm glad you have at least somewhat better luck than we do about getting your cat to eat out of a bowl. Buddy just can't seem to understand the concept. As we say here, "Bless his heart." :)

But I totally understand what you mean about panic mode. Many years ago, we lost one of our cats to hepatic lipidosis. So I tend to get super paranoid when any of our kitties aren't interested in eating. :eek:
My Persian (name is Barley) has indeed a funny personality. Sometimes I pretend that I am mad at him and he looks at me like he is saying, "C'mon now!". There is never a day that I do not laugh at his antics. Such a silly soul.
Anyhow, goodluck to your Buddy. Cats are really very picky at most times so it is a constant struggle. Nevertheless, I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista has IBD and pancreatitis. Every meal (and we're at 5 a day) is different.

Frequently she walks away from her meal halfway through. For a pancreatitis kitty, this is not acceptable. So I pick up her dish and move it to another room. Even when she watches me do it, she will follow it over, sniff it, then dig in, and finish the plate like, "what's this? More food? Okay!"

I give her probiotics and digestive enzymes with every meal. I mix these in a small tray (think 2.8 oz can if it were square) with her CBD oil, Cat-Crack aka Cat-Cal nutritional gel, and tuna water and set this tray down on the floor for her (unless she's on the counter watching me "cook" for her. Short of the bed and the stove, I'll let her eat wherever she will actually eat these days.). Because this tray is the lid for a small container and doesn't have much weight to it, once she gets to the cat gel, she's enthusiastically pushing this little tray across the floor like a hockey puck. Sometimes I have to stick a toe or a finger against the leading edge so she can finish.

We do meds this way so I don't have to "poison" (her word, probably) her food and then argue with her about not taking her meds because she didn't finish her poisoned food. Now I get to put the tray down and taunt her with, "You can't have your meat if you don't eat your pudding!"

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista has IBD and pancreatitis. Every meal (and we're at 5 a day) is different.

Frequently she walks away from her meal halfway through. For a pancreatitis kitty, this is not acceptable. So I pick up her dish and move it to another room. Even when she watches me do it, she will follow it over, sniff it, then dig in, and finish the plate like, "what's this? More food? Okay!"

I give her probiotics and digestive enzymes with every meal. I mix these in a small tray (think 2.8 oz can if it were square) with her CBD oil, Cat-Crack aka Cat-Cal nutritional gel, and tuna water and set this tray down on the floor for her (unless she's on the counter watching me "cook" for her. Short of the bed and the stove, I'll let her eat wherever she will actually eat these days.). Because this tray is the lid for a small container and doesn't have much weight to it, once she gets to the cat gel, she's enthusiastically pushing this little tray across the floor like a hockey puck. Sometimes I have to stick a toe or a finger against the leading edge so she can finish.

We do meds this way so I don't have to "poison" (her word, probably) her food and then argue with her about not taking her meds because she didn't finish her poisoned food. Now I get to put the tray down and taunt her with, "You can't have your meat if you don't eat your pudding!"
My goodness! Sounds like Krista certainly provides some challenges!

It's amazing how much we cat lovers indulge our kitties, especially when they have ongoing health issues and need lots of extra TLC. :)

To me, the most frustrating thing is when Buddy keeps moving the goal posts. One time he'll chow down like crazy if I do A, B, and C. Then I think, "Great! I finally have this figured out. Today he wants to eat KOHA kangaroo in bite sized globs off a towel along the back of the sofa, in the conservatory, with Colonel Mustard, with a candlestick." Or something like that. ;)

But alas, for the next meal, he has something completely different in mind, and I have to keep fumbling around and chase him all over creation to get him to eat. On the bright side, I sure do get a lot of exercise!

So I totally understand about being flexible about letting a kitty eat wherever he or she wants. Shoot, if I could depend on Buddy eating like a champ every time if he wanted to eat on the ceiling, I'd try to figure out a way to accommodate that! :lol:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're very ill, this usually doesn't work. But if they're feeling off color and are on the mend, just not eating, sometimes teasing them a little bit with a toy (bird feathers are great for this) and asking them to at least smack it/swat it/grab at it jump starts their "I'm a Cat" energy.
What works for us sometimes is keeping them confined in a room they're comfortable in, putting down dry and patting it with our hand (so we can notice any slight indents from grazing), a small round "neat" spoonful of wet food or raw or whatever, and then leaving them alone.
Hovering over them anxiously, to some cats puts them off. We've had foster dogs that will NOT eat a bite if you're even looking in their direction, but you walk away or turn your back, they scarf it. It's like they wonder if you're "claiming" the food by staring at them when they're interested.
Some seem to like the hovering and attention (manipulative, LOL) and some REALLY will kick in eating if you just start petting them a little.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just had to feed my Krista nearly her whole 48 g portion off a fork with a glob of cat gel on the back side. "Finish your plate and I'll let you lick the back of the fork."
Hey, whatever works. To borrow a quote from Martha Stewart, "It's a good thing." ;)